turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax Year Prior to 2020: Can I still file a w2 from a previous year if yes what's the longest you can wait?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

36 Replies
KatrinaB
Intuit Alumni

Tax Year Prior to 2020: Can I still file a w2 from a previous year if yes what's the longest you can wait?

You cannot file a prior year's W2, along with this year's tax return. You must file it by amending that year's tax return. There is a time limit on amending the return. You have three years from the date you filed your original tax return or two years from the date you paid the tax, whichever is later. 

If you need directions on filing an amendment, please view the Turbo Tax FAQ below.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288565

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

No, you can not file a prior year W-2 with your tax return for the current year.

If you did not file a tax return for the year you received the W-2 then file a tax return for that year to include the W-2

If you did file you will have to file an amended tax return for the year in which you did not report the W-2 on your tax return.

You may file your amended tax return with TurboTax even if you did not use TurboTax to file the original tax return.

The link  Amending past year tax return will provide you with the information on how to file an amended tax return with TurboTax.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Lexus A

My brother did something like this . What is he suppose to do since it’s already filed ? What’s his penalty? 

@Lexus A 

IF he put a prior year W-2 on this year's tax return...and has actually filed it.

Then he has to wait for the IRS computers to respond as to whether they "Accept" or "Reject" his tax filing.  (Expected to start sometime the week of 27 Jan)

1) IF the IRS computers Reject his tax file (pray for that) he can just "EDIT" his tax data, removing the wrong-year W-2 form(s) data, and re-e-file.  (DO NOT AMEND)

2) IF the IRS computers Accept his tax file...then he first must wait for his refund (or pay any balance due  if that was the case)….then in late Feb or March, he would AMEND his tax return.....take out the prior year W-2 (and make any other changes needed)  print out that amended tax return, and take it to the Post office to mail it in.  Amended tax returns can only be mail-filed.

Tax returns for 2018 and earlier can only be prepared using the Desktop software, installed on a full MAC or Windows home computer.  Each year must be done separately, and filed separately on paper.  No e-filing for those prior years.

https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/past-years-products/

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

@SteamTrain so does that mean if I want to file my w2 from 2018, i will need to have it filed separately as well as on desktop software, not online efile with TurboTax?

WKins2
Expert Alumni

You can still file your 2018 W-2 online with the previous years product click here: https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/past-years-products/

Once you prepare the 2018 return, you can e-file it online as well and select how you want your refund or how you will paid your taxes owed. 

Dude what the heck do i do if i entered in the information of one w-2 form last april for 2018 taxes and I saved my progress but I did not have the other w-2 form until a few days ago? If i had to download the software to file my two 2018 W-2's would my information I entered in and saved still be there? :0

ReginaM
Expert Alumni

Did you file your 2018 with the missing W-2 or did you not file 2018?

I did not file because I didn't have my other W-2, I entered in the information for the W-2 form I did have and saved my progress when filing online. So I did not file and did not enter in the info from the other W-2.

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

The 2019 W-2 should be reported on the 2019 tax return.

I understand that you have not yet filed your 2018 tax return.  The 2018 W-2 will have to be reported on the 2018 tax return.

The 2018 tax return cannot be e-filed.  It will have to be paper-filed.  You will be attaching copies of your 2018 W-2’s to the 2018 tax return when you mail it to the IRS.

So I'm on turbo tax and I filled out my W-2 for my last job but could I file another w2 on turbo tax for a job I worked in 2017 and 18? 

@dylancole997 

NO...Online only does 2019 taxes now.

For any other year you need to buy that year's software, download it to a full MAC or Windows computer, install the software, prepare the tax forms, print them and file by mail.

https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/past-years-products/

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
Angelve_

I accidentally filed on of my prior year with this years and I received a letter that I need to amend it. How do I do that? 

MaryK4
Expert Alumni

See How to amend (change or correct) a return you alre ...

@Angelve_

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies