turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can I receive the stimulus check if I'm 19, but my parents claimed me as dependent on their 2018 tax return?

My parents have me claimed as a dependent on their 2018 tax return and they haven't filed their 2019 tax return. I am now 19 and have tried to e-file my 2019 tax returns, but it's being rejected because I'm claimed as a dependent. I can't file mine by mail because I don't have access to a printer and I can't go to a public library to print it because of the coronavirus. I haven't been living with my parents for over a year.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

Can I receive the stimulus check if I'm 19, but my parents claimed me as dependent on their 2018 tax return?

If your parents do not claim you in 2019, and you file a tax return and claim yourself.  You will get a stimulus check.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

your 2018 status has nothing to do with it. If your parents did not file yet, then your return should go through. what is the real rejection reason?. it's not because someone claimed you.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How would I claim myself if they haven't filed their 2019 taxes? 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry, I didn't see your reply until now. The reason I was given was this:

IND-516-01 - If Form 1040, 'PrimaryClaimAsDependentInd' is not checked, then the Primary SSN must not be the same as a Dependent SSN on another return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies