turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I pay myself as a sub-contractor--not an employee--and still take dividends if I own a single-member LLC taxed as a sub-chapter S corp?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can I pay myself as a sub-contractor--not an employee--and still take dividends if I own a single-member LLC taxed as a sub-chapter S corp?

@pmac0677 Regardless of how you handle this matter, an S corporation must pay reasonable compensation to a shareholder-employee for services rendered to the corporation.

See https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/s-corporation-compensation-and-medical...

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Carl
Level 15

If you filed IRS Form 2553 to have your LLC treated like an S-Corp, then as far as the IRS is concerned it "is" an S-Corp. Period.

YOu certaingly can pay yourself as a sub-contractor. But if you pay yourself as a sub-contractor then that means you will be filing a SCH C with your personal tax return and paying self-employment tax on that money. That's kinda defeating the whole purpose of filing the 2553 in the first place. You've gone around your elbow to get to your thumb, but ended up under your big toe.

@pmac0677 Regardless of how you handle this matter, an S corporation must pay reasonable compensation to a shareholder-employee for services rendered to the corporation.

See https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/s-corporation-compensation-and-medical...

thanks!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies