turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cahland

Can I get an exemption from the Kansas City local tax if I work from home in another city?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can I get an exemption from the Kansas City local tax if I work from home in another city?

Yes, you can have your employer withhold less city taxes, and for the current tax year (2017) you can file a return to get some of the money back.

It is best to keep a log of when you do go in the office versus working from home.

http://kcmo.gov/tax/tax-home/forms/tax-form-descriptions/   Link for below and the Form is at the link also. 

Form RD-109NR is a schedule used by a non-resident of Kansas City, Mo. to request a refund of tax withheld based on the fact that the employee had whole days worked out of the City. The number of days worked out of the City must be verified by the employer. Form RD-109NR is also used by a part-year resident of Kansas City, Mo. to determine earnings attributable to their period of residency.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Yes, you can have your employer withhold less city taxes, and for the current tax year (2017) you can file a return to get some of the money back.

It is best to keep a log of when you do go in the office versus working from home.

http://kcmo.gov/tax/tax-home/forms/tax-form-descriptions/   Link for below and the Form is at the link also. 

Form RD-109NR is a schedule used by a non-resident of Kansas City, Mo. to request a refund of tax withheld based on the fact that the employee had whole days worked out of the City. The number of days worked out of the City must be verified by the employer. Form RD-109NR is also used by a part-year resident of Kansas City, Mo. to determine earnings attributable to their period of residency.
haithem1
Returning Member

It is duable on TurboTax?

I have noticed from my employer regarding this form

Thank you

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

@haithem1 You need to have your Employer stop withholding City or Local Taxes that don't apply to you.

If these taxes are reported on your W-2, you need to enter them in TurboTax just as they are shown on your W-2 and file the appropriate returns.  TurboTax will guide you through that process. 

If you are not required to pay the City or Local Taxes that withheld on your W-2, you should get a refund.

Click this link for more info on How to File Local Taxes

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies