turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I file with Turbo Tax if I lived in three states in 2019?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
RobertG
Expert Alumni

Here's how to enter those states at the federal level in TurboTax.

1. Go to the My Info section of TurboTax
  2. On the Personal info summary page scroll down to Other state income and select Edit

There you can select the other states you worked in.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

Yes, you will be able to account for your home sale/purchase transactions as well.  

For the purchases, it will be a matter of entering deductible items such as mortgage interest and property taxes.

For the sales, you will go through a particular section of your return to enter the details of your home sale.  Since the homes that were sold were your main homes, you may be able to exclude any gain on the sale.  However, both home sales will likely not be qualified to exclude any gain.  TurboTax will help you work through this section.  

See the following TurboTax article for more details and steps to get started with reporting your home sales:  Is the money I made from a home sale taxable?

@timpcal

View solution in original post

5 Replies
DeanM15
Expert Alumni

Yes, you can. You can file with multiple states in TurboTax. 

If you moved in and out of the three states, or just lived in one and worked in the others, TurboTax can handle your situation. Extra states are an additional charge, in TurboTax Online the charge is $50 per state. In TurboTax Desktop Download/Cd you generally get one state (except in Basic) and would need to buy the other two. The price per state in the download version is $44.99 plus extra if you e-file (24.99). 

Dean, Thanks. Let me rephrase. In Turbo Tax on federal return it only let’s me input one state in addition to my current state. In 2019 I lived in VA, then SC, and now GA. But I can only input GA and SC. Also, In 2019 I sold VA house, bought SC house, sold SC house and bought Ga house. Can Turbo Tax handle this at federal level?  Thanks, Tim 

RobertG
Expert Alumni

Here's how to enter those states at the federal level in TurboTax.

1. Go to the My Info section of TurboTax
  2. On the Personal info summary page scroll down to Other state income and select Edit

There you can select the other states you worked in.

Hi Robert, 

Thanks for the response.  It was very helpful.  In Turbo Tax at the federal level, will I be able to input information relative to the sale of two homes and the purchase of two homes that were my primary residences in 2019?  In Mar 2019, I purchased my South Carolina home and in Apr 2019 I sold my Virginia home.  In Sep 2019 I purchased my Georgia home and in Oct 2019 I sold my South Carolina home.  

Regards,

Tim  

AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

Yes, you will be able to account for your home sale/purchase transactions as well.  

For the purchases, it will be a matter of entering deductible items such as mortgage interest and property taxes.

For the sales, you will go through a particular section of your return to enter the details of your home sale.  Since the homes that were sold were your main homes, you may be able to exclude any gain on the sale.  However, both home sales will likely not be qualified to exclude any gain.  TurboTax will help you work through this section.  

See the following TurboTax article for more details and steps to get started with reporting your home sales:  Is the money I made from a home sale taxable?

@timpcal

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies