Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I file my 201 8 Colorado return thru Turbo Tax?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

If you prepared your 2018 federal return using TurboTax then you can prepare a 2018 state return and mail it in.

To finish a prior year return started in TT online:https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2559403-how-do-i-finish-a-prior-year-return-that-i-started-in-turb

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s.  Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS and/or your state received the return.

If you did not use TT for your 2018 federal return, then no, you cannot use TT for CO now.  The information flows from the federal return to the state return.  You cannot prepare a "stand alone" state return using TurboTax.

You could get the state forms and prepare the 2018 CO return by hand and mail it in.  You will need a copy of your 2018 federal Form 1040 in front of you to help you prepare the state form.

https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/tax/individual-income-tax-instructions-and-forms

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

The 2018 Online software is fully shut down and is preparing for 2019...so..it depends:

1) IF...If you fully filled out & finished your 2018 Federal and CO tax returns Online, filed federal, but just didn't file CO yet...then you can download your full PDF file, print out just the CO tax forms and mail them in to CO along with your W-2 forms and any others that show CO withholding.

2) IF..if you prepared your Federal taxes with TTX Online, but didn't complete CO yet, then you would have to buy the Desktop software, (Windows or MAC only), install the CO software in that using a start-up dummy file....then download your .tax2018 data file from your Online account. Then open that file, check the federal section before continuing on to the State section to complete the CO part...then print it out and mail it in to CO.  (no e-filing...that's closed).

3) IF...if you haven't done CO at all anywhere, then, again,  then you would have to buy the Desktop software, (Windows or MAC only)...fully fill in the Federal taxes section (95% of all income tax data must be entered in the Federal section), then continue on to the CO state section, complete any followup questions there, then print it out and mail it in to the CO tax people....along with your W-2 forms and any others that show CO withholding.

or

4) .........find the CO state tax website, download the CO tax forms as PDF files, and prepare them manually before mailing them in to CO.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies