turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rustybuff

Can I file federal and state with Turbo now, then file M1PR later, directly to state before due 8/15/19? I only qualify for the "special" prop tax refund.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Can I file federal and state with Turbo now, then file M1PR later, directly to state before due 8/15/19? I only qualify for the "special" prop tax refund.

Yes, you can file M1PR at a separate time.  TurboTax does not actually e-file that form with your state return.  TurboTax will fill it out, but you will have to print and mail it to the state.  

When you are ready to come back and file the form, you will need to get back into your state return to complete this form.  Below are the general instructions on how to get back into your return and print out the form.
  • Log back into your TurboTax account and select the option to "Add a State” under Your Tax Return and Documents on your Tax Homepage
  • This will let you back into your return without actually adding a state
  • You will go back to the Minnesota return and proceed through the screens until you get to the one described in the article below 
  • Follow the advice laid out in the article below and be careful not to change anything else on your MN state return while you are filling out the M1PR
  • After you finish with this form, go to the Print Center under Tax Tools on the left-hand side of your screen and print your MN return - the M1PR will be in the pdf and you can file it as described in the article below
The other option would be to just e-file the form yourself after filing your MN return with TurboTax.  MN has a website dedicated to e-filing this form that you can use and the instructions for filling it out are fairly straightforward and shouldn't be a problem.  

You can find that information here -

myang1

Can you update this? I can't add a state on mine after filing it. 

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

The M1PR will have to be mailed in and not e-filed.   

You can return to the M1PR even if you have already filed your state return.  If you'd like to Print Form M1PR: 

1. Click on the add state return,  you will not be adding a state, but this will open the return up for review.   
  2. Continue to the Status of your state returns screen, then revisit the Minnesota state return  
  3. Get to the Let's Check for Minnesota Nontaxable Income screen, then select Yes; I want to see if I qualify for these tax benefits. 
  4. Click continue until you arrive at the Other Forms You May Need screen. Confirm the Property Tax Refund (Form M1PR) box is checked, then continue. 
  5. Provide any information to generate the form.  
  6. Click Print Form M1PR. This will generate a finalized version of the form, and you'll mail it to the address provided on the screen.  
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies