turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I file 4 years of taxes at once?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

You can but each tax year MUST be filed separately ... only the 2019 return can be efiled ... all prior year returns must be mailed and it is now too late to get a refund for the 2016 return.

You can only buy the download for prior years. You have to buy a separate program for each year. They only sell the last 3 years. You need a full Windows or Mac computer to install it on. Buy the download here
https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/past-years-products/

You have to print and mail prior year returns. When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s. Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS received the return. Don’t forget state.

Important! Mail Federal and State in separate envelopes and mail each year in separate envelopes.

If you are getting a refund, there is not a penalty for filing past the deadline. You have 3 years to file for a refund. If you owe taxes, the interest/penalties will be calculated by the IRS based on how much you owe and when they receive your return and payment. The IRS will bill you for this; it will not be calculated by TurboTax.

How to file a prior year
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/how-do-i-prepare-a-prior-year-tax-return/00/25...

And each year should be mailed in s separate envelope or the IRS might just attach them all together and only process the return on top.

Also mail certified with return receipt to verify the IRS received it.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
Manage cookies