Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I efile after today?

I am ready to efile now.  Can I efile after today.  I owe no taxes.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies

Can I efile after today?

No you cannot e-file after midnight tonight in your time zone.   If you miss the deadline you will have to print, sign and mail your return instead.   There is no penalty if you do not owe or are getting a refund.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/filing-and-paying-taxes/help/what-if-i-missed-the-october-15-filin...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Can I efile after today?

@xmasbaby0 

This FAQ you provided above makes it sound like one could still submit an efile up until October 29.  It says:

"If you started your 2020 return on TurboTax Online you have until 9 PM PT October 29 to file your return online, but it may be subject to late filing fees."    (if taxes are owed)  

Can I efile after today?

@mesquitebean      I know----the FAQ is confusing.      I do not think it is possible to e-file for the "first" attempt after midnight tonight.    I think I am going to stop using the confusing FAQ that TT wrote.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Can I efile after today?

The last paragraph in that FAQ is confusing, too, since it says Online TurboTax can no longer be used to "start, finish, or efile" after October 29.   That makes it sound like one can start/finish/efile prior to that date.

Can I efile after today?

@mesquitebean I am posting it in the Lounge to ask them to explain.

Can I efile after today?

e-File has to stay open to allow the grace period for fixing REJECTED e-files just before Oct 16.

So there's no reason a new e-File would not go through now.

Can I efile after today?

@xmasbaby0  Yes please let us know what they say.  This seems like a good thread to post on.  

Can I efile after today?

@VolvoGirl I will do that----since it's the weekend it might be a few days.   That FAQ is really confusing and I think it could be interpreted to mean, "Oh, missed the deadline?   No big deal. Keep working on your return since you have until October 29."

Can I efile after today?

@xmasbaby0  @mesquitebean   And did you drill down on that FAQ and open this one?  Says you can efile until Nov 15!
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/what-s-the-irs-penalty-if-i-miss-the-october-15-ex... 

Can I efile after today?

@VolvoGirl   Yep--posted it to the Lounge too.   TT's proofreader must have had the day off.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies