turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I e-file a payment for federal taxes due? I see the e-file for my state taxes, but have no record of federal taxes being paid even though my tax return was accepted

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DavidS127
Expert Alumni

Can I e-file a payment for federal taxes due? I see the e-file for my state taxes, but have no record of federal taxes being paid even though my tax return was accepted

Check the instructions in the PDF for your federal tax filing, to make sure you selected to have your federal payment deducted from your bank account.  You can e-file a return without authorizing that the payment be deducted from your bank account (by selecting the "pay by check" option).  And, you can make a different selection for on the federal return than you did on the state.

If you find you made the selection to have the federal payment deducted from your bank account, you should wait for the IRS to process the payment to avoid a duplicate payment.

If you find you need to pay your federal taxes for a return you have already filed, you can remit your payment electronically to the IRS using the IRS payment website at this link.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

When looking at the PDF it doesn't show any information about which options I selected to pay for my federal taxes.

Should I assume that means I chose to pay later and will need to pay the IRS?

I went to their website and it doesn't show that I owe anything for 2019, but is that just because they don't say you owe the amount until after April 15th?

Thanks for the advice thus far.  I appreciate it.

KarenJ2
Expert Alumni

If you don't remember if you requested that the federal payment be deducted from your bank account, you should keep checking your bank account and the IRS website.  

If you selected payment option Withdraw the money from my bank account when asked how you want to pay your federal taxes then the money will be withdrawn by the IRS from your bank account on the date you specify (if filing on or before the deadline) or when your return is accepted (if filing after the deadline). 

In TurboTax, you can pay your IRS taxes directly from your checking or savings account with direct debit.

Here are a few things you should know about direct debit:

• Direct debit is not the same thing as direct deposit.
  • You must e-file your return; direct debit in TurboTax isn't available for paper-filers (although we do offer a simple workaround).
  • There is no charge for this service.
  • The money is withdrawn from your bank account on the date you specify (if filing by the deadline) or when your return is accepted (if filing after the deadline).
  • The IRS will withdraw the entire owed amount from your bank account. Direct debit for partial payments isn't available.

In TurboTax, you'll see the payment option Withdraw the money from my bank account when we ask how you want to pay your federal taxes. This is the direct debit option.

We'll also offer the direct debit option for your state return if your state supports it (not all states do).

Did you know? If you already filed your federal return in TurboTax, you can pay the IRS with direct debit through their secure Direct Pay site free of charge.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies