turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Can i claim my foster children

@Slhurst90 wrote:

I have a question. Ok my children were placed with my mom my the courts right after xmas 2020 until July 16th 2021. So she had them for 6 & a half months and they are now back with me. Since it was court ordered is there a way for her to claim them for the time she had them and then I claim them for the time I have them or does she have to claim them for the whole year? And if she does, will it come back on me since I'm getting the monthly ctc payments for them but I had them back when the payments started? 

Any info will help please. We just need to know how we are suppose to go about this. 

A dependent can only be claimed by one tax payer and cannot be split.

See my previous answer - only the parent, or foster parent that the child physically lived with more then half the year (more then 183 nights) can claim.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

For the question "Do you have a written or verbal agreement with (FOSTER CHILD)'s other parent about who can claim FOSTER CHILD?"   what should be answered there?  Since the baby came to our home, we have not heard one word from the bio parents.   I have no agreement with them but I was told from the case worker that I can claim the baby.  How should this be answered.

Say NO.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
AMP19

I’ve established that I can claim my fosters. What if I cannot get their social security number?

@AMP19 wrote:

I’ve established that I can claim my fosters. What if I cannot get their social security number?

The child must have a valid Social Security number before they can be claimed as a dependent on a tax return.

AMP19

I’m sure they have numbers, but fostering being what it is throes numbers are lost in the system 

@AMP19 wrote:

I’m sure they have numbers, but fostering being what it is throes numbers are lost in the system 

Contact the agency in your state/county that placed the children with you.  They should be able to assist you in obtaining their SSN's.

@AMP19 wrote:

Another option is for you to contact the local Social Security office.  Explain your situation and find out what paperwork is required for you to obtain the SSN's for the children.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies