turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Marky33

Can I add my parents as dependents if they their social security card shows "Valid for work only with DHS Authorization"? They are in the process of becoming citizens.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ReginaM
Expert Alumni

Can I add my parents as dependents if they their social security card shows "Valid for work only with DHS Authorization"? They are in the process of becoming citizens.

No, you can’t claim a person as a dependent unless that person is a U.S. citizen,
U.S. resident alien, U.S. national, or a resident of Canada or Mexico.   

A U.S. National is defined as U.S. national who, although not a U.S. citizen, owes his other allegiance to the United States. U.S. nationals include American Samoans and Northern Islanders who chose to become U.S.nationals instead of U.S. citizens.

Should you have further concerns in regards to your question, please reply to this thread.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
ReginaM
Expert Alumni

No, you can’t claim a person as a dependent unless that person is a U.S. citizen,
U.S. resident alien, U.S. national, or a resident of Canada or Mexico.   

A U.S. National is defined as U.S. national who, although not a U.S. citizen, owes his other allegiance to the United States. U.S. nationals include American Samoans and Northern Islanders who chose to become U.S.nationals instead of U.S. citizens.

Should you have further concerns in regards to your question, please reply to this thread.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies