turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

merrie46
Returning Member

My babysitter don't want to give her social security number for security purposes

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
SherekaB

My babysitter don't want to give her social security number for security purposes

By Federal law they must provide this information. You can send the provider a W-10 (Request for Taxpayer Information and Identification Number). Get the form at https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw10.pdf, fill out what you can and send it via certified mail and be sure to make copies for yourself. 

If you do not want to go through this you can paper file your return and inform the IRS that you could not get the social security number. You will still receive your refund. The IRS will not accept this electronically without the EIN number. 

a308

under what law does it say they "must" provide this information?

PaulaM
Employee Tax Expert

@a308 see excerpt from the Form W-10 instructions below.

Form W-10

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

If they do not want to give you a SS# then they should get an EIN to use instead ...  they are free and you can apply for one online ...  https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/apply-for-an-employer-identification-n...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies