turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Bugs for Form 8949

I have gone through the interviews, which generates 2 Form 1099B wks for the 2 financial companies correctly.

But they are not transferred correctly to the Form 8949.

Only the stuffs for Box E (page 2 for form 8949) are presented on the Form 8949

The stuffs for Box A (page 1for the form 8949) are not transferred to the Form 8949.

Schedule D is correct though.

I tried to delete the 1099B wks, and fill the form 8949 myself, but Turbo Tax won't let me fill the form 8949.

Can someone help!

Thanks!

--Li

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bugs for Form 8949

box a - 8949 are short term gains where cost basis is reported to IRS. if the sales price and cost basis are correct (IE no adjustments)    they do not have to be detailed on form 8949.  instead they flow in total  to schedule D  line 1 

had it been box d - long-term - cost basis reported to irs then if no adjustments they would flow to schedule D line 8 in total

so you should see on line 1 schedule D the totals for sales price and cost for those not showing on form 8949

Bugs for Form 8949

@LLL2010 wrote:

The stuffs for Box A (page 1for the form 8949) are not transferred to the Form 8949.

I have tried but I cannot seem to be able to reproduce your results. Ensure that you are selecting Box A - Short term covered in the Investment Sales section of the program (see screenshot).

8949.png

Bugs for Form 8949

Thanks a lot! But for every year before this year, Form 8949 will have all the box A stuff transferred. Even if it is not required to enter the details for box A stuff, I still think they should be transferred to Form 8949 if I entered them in the worksheet. BTW,  I entered the summary for each category (instead of entering one sale at a time)

So, I am still thinking there is a bug here in Turbo Tax Delux.

Bugs for Form 8949

Thanks a lot!. But I did select Box A as your picture showed. The only thing different from your picture is that 

I entered the summary for each category (instead of entering one sale at a time). 

I even deleted all the related worksheets and re-entered the interview again, and still, the Form 8949 is incomplete.

Bugs for Form 8949

@LLL2010 wrote:

....I entered the summary for each category (instead of entering one sale at a time). 

You can generally report summary information directly on Schedule D.

See https://www.irs.gov/instructions/i8949#idm139852939439200

Bugs for Form 8949

If you use the summary option for category Box A or D, with no adjustments, then form 8949 is not generated.

Bugs for Form 8949

Thanks! It sounds like when there are no adjustments, Turbo Tax just directly added the result of 8949 and out on Sch D directly. But why I had the Form 8949 with box A checked in previous years?

Bugs for Form 8949

I use the summary option, but in the previous years, Form 8949 will have one line for Fidelity, and one line for TD Ameritrade. Then, Sch D will aggregate the two lines from form 8949 into one line in Sch D.

I just wonder why this year, there is nothing on Form 8949 with Box A checked, which are very different from previous years.

Bugs for Form 8949

If you use the direct entry option, one by one, or import your transaction detail for category A or D, then Form 8949 is generated.

Bugs for Form 8949

@If you use the direct entry option, one by one, or import your transaction detail for category A or D, then Form 8949 is generated.

But in the previous year, I also did not enter each sale one-by-one, and it still generated the form 8949 for box A. That is why I feel it is strange when I do not see the box A stuff appear in the form 8949

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies