turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Bought a new computer. Tx 2018 return to a disc. Windows 10 will not pickup the return from the disc.

Is there some special procedure to get  windows 10 to pickup the return from the disc ?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

21 Replies

Bought a new computer. Tx 2018 return to a disc. Windows 10 will not pickup the return from the disc.

The tax return is not stored on the CD of the program. The tax returns are usually found in Documents in a TurboTax file on your computer. You would have to move the .tax file from the old computer to the new computer. 

You can't transfer the programs.  They have to be installed from the CD or Download.  You don't need to install the prior year programs unless you need to amend that year.  Before you move your tax return files make sure you have saved each year as a PDF file.  So you may want to open each year and do that.  FILE - SAVE TO PDF

What I would do is just copy the whole Turbo Tax folder that is under your Documents.  That should be where the .tax files and PDF files are stored.  Then copy that folder to a flash drive or best yet is to burn it to a CD or DVD and then you will have a backup of them.   Then on the new computer copy the folder (or files) from the flash drive to your Documents folder.  Those can always be at least read by any system, even if they can't be used directly by the program.

Especially....if you are upgrading to Windows 10....there is no guarantee that any of the 2014...or prior year tax programs will run at all on W-10.  That has yet to be determined...

Save the PDF for each year twice.

1) Once as the tax return for filing   (this contains just the filing tax forms)

2) Again as the tax return, but with ALL the forms and worksheets (this contains all of your worksheets and shows all  of your entries on some form or another).

The selection of the bare tax return, or the extended tax return with everything is made during the Save-to-PDF process.

And back those PDFs up to a backup USB or CD....every year we get tons of folks begging for access to a tax return on a crashed disk....TTX doesn't have it...only you do when you use the desktop software.

See this TurboTax support FAQ concerning moving tax files to a new computer - https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901474-how-do-i-move-my-tax-data-file-to-another-computer

boseg625

I tried transfering my previous turbo tax downloads from previous years from a flash drive to my new windows 10 . The files are there but it's asking how  I want to open the file. I tried Word but it won't open.

ok ...  the PDF can be opened by any PDF reader ... if you have the .taxfiles you need the program installed to open and read them.   Programs cannot be transferred you have to install them ... if you still have the .exe installation file then you can move that but then you still need to install the program. 

ST70

If we've used all our installations for a particular tax year say 2017 and we've gone to Windows 10 can we reinstall turbo tax for 2017 on the new computer? If not, then what happens if I get audited and want to see the 2017 tax information.

Also why is Turbo tax so reluctant to actually talk to a warm body. Having a robot make like their listening and typing is not awe inspiring it's frustrating.

@ST70

What do you mean by "used all our installations?"  Are you confusing that concept with being able to e-file up to 5 federal returns?  You can use the CD or your paid - for download and install the 2017 software to any computer that you own.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Yes you can try to install Turbo Tax 2017.  You will need the .tax2017 file to open in the program.

Your tax files end in .tax or .tax2015, .tax2016, .tax2017 or .tax2018 etc.  They should be in your Documents in a Turbo Tax folder.  You should also have the pdf files of each year.  Or search your computer for all files ending in .tax.  Also if you haven't done it,  I would open each year in the program and save it as a PDF file, go to File-Save to PDF so you don't need the program installed to view or print your return in the future like to get a mortgage or loan, etc.

What I would do is just copy the whole Turbo Tax folder that is under your Documents.  That should be where the .tax files and pdf files are stored.  Copy that folder to a flash drive or best yet is to burn it to a CD or DVD and then you will have a backup of them.   Then on the new computer copy the folder (or files) from the flash drive to your Documents folder.

The programs need to be installed from the CD or download them again.  You don't need to install them unless you need to amend or open a return.

After you get the program installed the first thing to do before you open your tax return is to update the program and install any state programs you had. Then open your file. So you first might need to start a fake return to be able to download the state program (go to File-New Tax Return).

Then go to FILE -Open and find your return.

See this article on how to move your tax return to another computer…….

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-data-file/help/how-do-i-move-my-tax-data-file-to-another-compu...

ST70

Yes, perhaps I have. Are you saying that as long as I have the paid for discs of previous years Turbo tax I can use them to reload each year going back say 6 years

Yes, except you can only update the programs for the last 3 years and download the state programs you may need.

beatty124
Returning Member

I am having a similar issue. Federal is updating okay, but I also need to download NC & SC. Asking for files. How do I access, SC is okay. For NC they are wanting pay.  I paid once don't wish to pay twice.

I need to amend SC. Can I download those files again?

@beatty124 wrote:

I am having a similar issue. Federal is updating okay, but I also need to download NC & SC. Asking for files. How do I access, SC is okay. For NC they are wanting pay.  I paid once don't wish to pay twice.

I need to amend SC. Can I download those files again?

Contact TurboTax support for this download and payment problem.

Use this website to contact TurboTax support during business hours - https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/
Support can also be reached by messaging them on these pages https://www.facebook.com/turbotax/ and https://twitter.com/TeamTurboTax

stfark
Returning Member

This explanation really does not make sense, I have a new computer, old one gone so cannot copy a folder or? I only have my tax return file saved on USB and The Turbo tax installed on the new computer will not read the file that I copied to the USB, BOOOOO!

@stfark wrote:

This explanation really does not make sense, I have a new computer, old one gone so cannot copy a folder or? I only have my tax return file saved on USB and The Turbo tax installed on the new computer will not read the file that I copied to the USB, BOOOOO!

What tax file are you referring to?  The tax data file or the PDF of the tax return?

The tax data file has a file extension of .taxyyyy, where yyyy is the tax year, eg .tax2019 for tax year 2019.

The tax data file can only be opened by the TurboTax software for the same tax year as the date file.  

Start the TurboTax program.  Click on File on the top left of the desktop program screen.  Click on Open Tax Return.  Browse to the location of the tax data file.

If you only have the PDF of the tax return, that Cannot be opened by the TurboTax software.

If you have the tax return file ending in .tax2019 (or .tax2018, etc.)  you need to install that year program to open it.  After you get the program reinstalled the first thing to do before you open your tax return is to update the program and install any state programs you had. Then open your file. So you first might need to start a fake return to be able to download the state program (go to FILE - NEW).

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies