turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Bought a EV vehicle in 2019. EV Tax credit form 8936 is still not ready for filing by IRS. Based on your experience in the past do you know how when it will be available?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

18 Replies

Bought a EV vehicle in 2019. EV Tax credit form 8936 is still not ready for filing by IRS. Based on your experience in the past do you know how when it will be available?

Should be available on or about 02/05/2020

Thanks. Will wait for the update

Form has been finalized by IRS. When can I use this in TT? Still showing same error message in TT premier.

@user17 wrote:

Form has been finalized by IRS. When can I use this in TT? Still showing same error message in TT premier.

Form 8936, Qualified Plug-in Electric Drive Motor Vehicle Credit - Estimated date available 02/12/2020

https://care-cdn.prodsupportsite.a.intuit.com/forms-availability/turbotax_fed_online_individual.html

Do you mean form 8936 Qualified Plug-in Electric Drive Motor Vehicle Credit?  I am getting an error on form 8936 (Copy 1) line in the Turbo Tax application on this form.  It is not obvious to me what the error message means.  Does this mean that Turbo Tax is not ready to use this form for e-filing?

@jung_a wrote:

Do you mean form 8936 Qualified Plug-in Electric Drive Motor Vehicle Credit?  I am getting an error on form 8936 (Copy 1) line in the Turbo Tax application on this form.  It is not obvious to me what the error message means.  Does this mean that Turbo Tax is not ready to use this form for e-filing?

Form 8936, Qualified Plug-in Electric Drive Motor Vehicle Credit - Estimated date available 02/12/2020

https://care-cdn.prodsupportsite.a.intuit.com/forms-availability/turbotax_fed_online_individual.html

Ok.  Thanks.  I will wait until 2/12/2020 from Turbo Tax to see if this clears the form up for filing.

Still not available. And this form 8936 doesn't even show up in the link https://care-cdn.prodsupportsite.a.intuit.com/forms-availability/turbotax_fed_windows_individual.htm...

How long is the wait?

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

Form 8936  will be available in this week's release of TurboTax.  The forms availability article will be updated when the release is made.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

So what changed for form to be not available 2/12? Given that it was mentioned 2/12 availability before and that didn't happen, are you sure about the next availability?

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

It should be available 24 hours after the IRS approves TurboTax to use the form. Currently, the IRS has not finalized the form. Here is the IRS web page to check the status of form 8936: Available Forms and Limitations. Scroll down to Form 8936.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

2/17-- I am seeing the form, but it is not correctly calculating the phase out percentage. It properly shows it as 50%, but does not do the calculation and is giving me the full $7500 credit instead of half of that.

@timmsc wrote:

2/17-- I am seeing the form, but it is not correctly calculating the phase out percentage. It properly shows it as 50%, but does not do the calculation and is giving me the full $7500 credit instead of half of that.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for the error - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/form-8936-qualified-plug-in-electric-drive-motor-v...

I filed on Saturday with 8936. Today Fed return was rejected because TT is not done fixing 8936. Here is the error I got "FDI_8936_EVCredit_ErrorHold - Your tax return is on hold pending ongoing updates to calculations on Form 8936, Qualified Plug-In Electric Drive Motor Vehicle Credit. We plan to have the updates to the form done on February 20th, 2019."

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies