turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Pastor_Erik
Returning Member

Bi-vocational pastor with housing allowance only can't eFile in New York (where it is required)

I am a bi-vocational pastor living in NYC with two W2's.   New York requires eFiling if one uses tax preparation software.  However, TurboTax is not allowing me to eFile because my church only pays my housing allowance, not a salary, and my W2 reflects this.

Thus, the W2  from my secular employment has all the regular boxes filled out, with proper withholding and so forth.

My church W2 has box 14 only with my housing allowance (which is actually paid directly to my landlord).  All other boxes are zero or blank.

As noted, NY requires eFiling if tax preparation software is used.  But TurboTax is not allowing me to eFile.

Any help on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Bi-vocational pastor with housing allowance only can't eFile in New York (where it is required)

This is a common scenario within the clergy or pastor occupation. A W-2 with zero wages cannot be e-filed which is causing the issue. By entering $1 in the wage box for both federal and NY you may be able to pass the e-file check. When tested TurboTax moves forward with the tax return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

This is a common scenario within the clergy or pastor occupation. A W-2 with zero wages cannot be e-filed which is causing the issue. By entering $1 in the wage box for both federal and NY you may be able to pass the e-file check. When tested TurboTax moves forward with the tax return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Pastor_Erik
Returning Member

Thank you much!

I tried that, and it did not work.

Putting any higher value in would also cause issues for the church, as there was no withholding, etc, and so it would cause other reporting issues.

Note also that box 12 does not have a code - should it?

Too, there is no code, only a description for box 14.  Is that correct, do you think?

Thanks again!

Pastor_Erik
Returning Member

Oddly enough, on the second attempt with this solution, it DID work.

Thank you much!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies