turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Aunt & Grandmother living in house that's in a trust. How to handle in Turbotax?

Grandfather died in 2019 so house went into trust. Grandmother and Aunt still live there. 
House is paid off. Aunt pays property taxes.  This is all the info I currently have.

(I'm doing both of their taxes with turbotax)

How should this property be handled in Turbotax?

THANKS FOR ALL THE INFO!!!!!🤗

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
DavidD66
Employee Tax Expert

Aunt & Grandmother living in house that's in a trust. How to handle in Turbotax?

It depends on the type of trust holding the house.  There's not enough information here to say how to handle this situation.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Anonymous
Not applicable

and even assuming one or the other can claim the deduction, does either have enough to itemize.  the standard deduction for 2019 is $12,200 + an additional $1,300 if over 65.  

According to the IRS, generally, you can deduct property taxes only if you are an owner of the property. Non-owners paying property taxes for a property's owner cannot deduct those taxes on their own returns, unfortunately.

I will contact them and get some more info on the trust..thanks for your input 😀

That's also what I was thinking...the annual property taxes are only about 2k.

So I believe the standard deduction is probably going to be the default....I'll get more info

THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY😀

Some more info..

the estate planning documents show

a revocable family trust with quit claim deed from husband to wife for the house.

the only name shown on document is the wife's to receive the property and she only collects social security and she cashed in once CD last year(had fed and state taxes taken out...received R form)

I would assume she would be the 'owner' in turbotax and I could type in the property taxes for the year but I'm not sure if any affect on her state return. 

THANKS FOR THE HELP !!! ✌️

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies