turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cordie1

Arrggghhhh

To whom it may concern,

I filed my taxes with Turbo Tax in January. I filed with two states (I work in Virginia, but technically live in Kentucky).  My job takes of Virginia Taxes. Last year and the year before I had to get a refund from Virginia and pay Kentucky taxes. This year it was different. When I filed with your program, it didn't say I needed to pay Kentucky taxes and instead the taxes I paid with Virginia stayed in that state. But I just got a tax BILL from the state of Kentucky saying I need to pay $2,124.00. This is around the amount that I paid in previous years, but that was always after getting a $2, 000 refund from the state of Virginia, which did not happen this year. This needs to be fixed pronto. I paid $110 to do my taxes on TurboTax and I filed them like all previous years. I'm getting double taxes on the same revenue from two different states. What the **bleep**.

Corinne

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

Arrggghhhh

It depends.

When you originally prepared your returns for the states, the order in which your prepared your state returns may have affected your calculations.  

You need to prepare your non-resident state returns first, and then prepare your resident state to ensure you received a credit for any taxes paid to other states.

You may need to prepare amended state returns to correct the input if this is what happened.

Please see the following link for instructions on preparing an amended return.

How to amend my return?

When you prepare your amended state returns, please use the steps below to ensure the returns are prepared accurately.

Review your entries in the My Info section of TurboTax located in the black panel on the left. 

Confirm that you have entered the correct state information: 

1. Click Edit to the right of your name 
  2. Confirm your input under #2 "Tell us the state(s) you lived in
  3. Do the same for your spouse if you are married filing jointly. 
  4. Go back to the personal information section, and verify the mailing address and Other state income section. You would enter Virginia in this section. 

Review your information in Lines 15-17 in the W-2 input section in the federal income section.  Make sure any withholdings and income are reported by the state they are earned in and as reported on your W-2 form.

Prepare the Nonresident Virginia state tax return first. Pay attention to the questions to ensure only the income you earned in this state is reported.

Once you have entered all of the Virginia information, then start your Kentucky return.  This will ensure you receive any credits for taxes on income which may have been taxed in both states. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies