turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rskolve

Anyone know why TT forces you to upgrade to deluxe when filing 1095-A and owing repayment of the advance premium tax credit? Amount was already deducted from Fed return.

I entered form 1095-A and now Turbotax won't let me file without upgrading. I am not sure why I would need deluxe to file when there is a set limit to the repayment amount for the tax credit and that amount has been deducted from my federal return. Can I not file for free in this case?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Anyone know why TT forces you to upgrade to deluxe when filing 1095-A and owing repayment of the advance premium tax credit? Amount was already deducted from Fed return.

Some filings are free but if you need forms or schedules Turbotax is free to charge more. 1095-A is not included in the free edition. 

Turbo Tax still has a Free Edition for very simple returns.

If your AGI is $73K or less then you can use one of the  IRS Free File options : 
https://www.irs.gov/filing/free-file-do-your-federal-taxes-for-free

@rskolve the answer to "why" is just the way Turbo Tax decides to price different scenarios 

this is their definition of a "simple" return and those premium tax credits are not part of 'simple' 

What qualifies as a simple tax return?

If you have a simple tax return, you can file with TurboTax Free Edition, TurboTax Live Basic, or TurboTax Live Full Service Basic. A simple tax return is one that's filed using IRS Form 1040 only, without having to attach any forms or schedules. Only certain taxpayers are eligible.

Situations covered (assuming no added tax complexity):

• W-2 income
  • Limited interest and dividend income reported on a 1099-INT or 1099-DIV
  • IRS standard deduction
  • Earned Income Tax Credit (EIC)
  • Child tax credits
  • Student loan interest deduction

Situations not covered:

• Itemized deductions
  • Unemployment income reported on a 1099-G
  • Business or 1099-NEC income
  • Stock sales
  • Rental property income
  • Credits, deductions and income reported on other forms or schedules (for example, income related to crypto investments)

If you don't have a simple tax return, we have other paid options to file using TurboTax.

How does TurboTax make any money?

We want our customers to love our products and services. Because we have customers who pay for our premium products and services, we can offer simple tax filing. We offer additional paid benefits that go beyond filing your simple taxes for free, but they're optional.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies