turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

abehnam

An issue with Line 11 Schedule C Deferral for Certain Schedule H or SE Filers Smart Work box

Hi. I am doing my tax with Turbotax self-employee version. During the review it gives a message as follows:

Check this Entry

1040/1040SR Wks: Line 11 is too large.

Line 11 is in Schedule 3 ' Additional Credits and Payments:

11: Enter the amount to report on Schedule 3 line 12e:   The value is 0.0 now.

This box is for Deferral for Certain Schedule H or SE Filers Smart Work, and I don't want to do any deferrals.

Any advice on what to input in line 11 would be appreciated.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

An issue with Line 11 Schedule C Deferral for Certain Schedule H or SE Filers Smart Work box

Don't enter anything on line 11. When the error comes up in the review, delete the zero (or whatever is there) and leave the box empty.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Don't enter anything on line 11. When the error comes up in the review, delete the zero (or whatever is there) and leave the box empty.

mdot

I have attempted to delete the zero in line 11 using my "delete" key, but am unable to do so.  (I do not wish to defer.)  Is there another solution?  Thank you.

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

Yes. This is a question because of initially qualifying to defer a portion of your self-employment tax, before all the details were entered into the return. Once a refund was established, the deferral was no longer an option.

If you return to the section directly, you may not see the screens necessary to adjust this since you no longer qualify for the option. 

The easiest and fastest solution is to enter nothing--leave the response blank.

Since you cannot leave the response blank, then first make sure the program is up to date by following these steps:

Step 1:

• TurboTax Online: Close out of the program completely and close the browser. Re-open using an incognito Chrome browser on a PC, not a Chromebook or iPad.
  • TurboTax CD/Download: Check for updates--depending on your version, this is found either under the menu item Online or Help.

Step 2:

1. Delete the Sch SE that applies--(Sch SE-T is for Taxpayer, Sch SE-S for Spouse)--by following these steps:
    1. From the left menu, select Tax Tools.
    2. Select Tools.
    3. Scroll to Delete a Form.
    4. Scroll to Sch SE-T and/or Sch SE-S and select Delete.
  2. Return to the self-employment income & expenses interview in the Income & Expenses section and select Edit/Add.
    1. Select Edit for your business.
    2. Scroll down to Done so that the Sch SE is recalculated. 
    3. Finish any other questions in the self-employment interview and click Continue.
  3. Review the return again.

If this box cannot be left blank after updates and after deleting Sch SE, and you are still experiencing unexpected results, then there is one more process to try: temporarily trigger a balance due by adding income long enough to decline the SE tax deferral option, then remove the extra income.

To do this in TurboTax, follow these steps:

Enter a temporary amount as income in the self-employment section that will result in you not having a refund.

1. From the left menu, select Federal.
  2. From the Income & Expenses, scroll to Self-employment income & expenses and Edit/Add.
  3. At Your 2020 work summary, select Edit.
  4. Under INCOME, select Add income for this work.
  5. Add Other self-employed income, includes 1099-K, cash, and checks and Continue.
  6. At Type of income, enter Temp income to remove deferral and enter a large amount, such as $100,000 and Continue.

Decline to defer any self-employment tax.

1. From the left menu, click on Federal.
  2. Click the second tab from the left, Deductions & Credits.
  3. Scroll down to Tax Relief related to Covid-19 and Revisit.
  4. Select Self-employment tax deferral and select Revisit.
  5. Answer Yes at the next screen to get back to Let's start by getting your eligible income
    1. Enter 280/366ths of your income to reflect the income from March 27-December 31, 2021. 
      • This amount should be calculated and entered without the false added income, and will post to Line 18 of Sch SE
    2. ​​​​​​​Select Continue.
    3. At Tell us how much you'd like to defer
      • Enter 0.

​​​​​​​Remove the temporary income.

1. From the left menu, select Federal.
  2. From the Income & Expenses, scroll to Self-employment income & expenses and Edit/Add.
  3. At Your 2020 work summary, select Edit.
  4. Under INCOME, select the Trash can icon next to Temp income to remove deferral and Continue.

For more details, see TurboTax Expert @DawnC's answer here, about 2/3 down the page: Resolve Sch SE-T Max Deferral Line 18 must be entered.

@abehnam

@mdot

What do I do when I get a '0' in line 11.

It will not let me delete the zero.  I do, but when I go back to the program, it still comes back with the same

message.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies