turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

benburn
Returning Member

AGI not correct after death of a spouse

Hello!

This is my first year filing after the death of my spouse.  My return was rejected because it says the AGI is not correct.  I pulled my 2018 taxes and the AGI matches.  Turbo Tax help states that sometimes the government changes the AGI and to put in "0" which I did.  Rejected again.  Please help.

Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Sorry for your loss.  Did you notify the Social Security Administration of their death?  Before you file a decedent return, make sure the Social Security Administration has been notified of the taxpayer's deathYou can either go to their website or call 1-800-772-1213.

Can I e-file a tax return for someone who is deceased?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/e-file/help/can-i-e-file-a-tax-return-for-someone-who-is-deceased/...

View solution in original post

I also wanted to add, did you enter the whole amount of your 2018 AGI on your joint return.  You need to enter the whole amount for both of you (do not split it).

You can contact the IRS to see if they can help you.

The IRS telephone number is 1-800-829-1040, and they are available from 7 a.m. – 7 p.m. Monday thru Friday. The best time to call is early in the morning.

- The first question the automated system will ask you is to choose your language.
- Once you’ve set your language, do NOT choose Option 1 (regarding refund info). Choose option 2 for “Personal Income Tax” instead.
- Next, press 1 for “form, tax history, or payment”.
- Next, press 3 “for all other questions.”
-Next, press 2 “for all other questions.”
- When the system asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, do NOT enter anything.
-After it asks twice, you will be prompted with another menu.
-Finally, press 2 for personal or individual tax questions. The system should then transfer you to an agent.

4 Replies

Sorry for your loss.  Did you notify the Social Security Administration of their death?  Before you file a decedent return, make sure the Social Security Administration has been notified of the taxpayer's deathYou can either go to their website or call 1-800-772-1213.

Can I e-file a tax return for someone who is deceased?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/e-file/help/can-i-e-file-a-tax-return-for-someone-who-is-deceased/...

I also wanted to add, did you enter the whole amount of your 2018 AGI on your joint return.  You need to enter the whole amount for both of you (do not split it).

benburn
Returning Member

Yes, they were notified, and the whole AGI amount was put in and transferred over from last year.  I am getting the adjusted SS rate, so I know it they are aware.

You can contact the IRS to see if they can help you.

The IRS telephone number is 1-800-829-1040, and they are available from 7 a.m. – 7 p.m. Monday thru Friday. The best time to call is early in the morning.

- The first question the automated system will ask you is to choose your language.
- Once you’ve set your language, do NOT choose Option 1 (regarding refund info). Choose option 2 for “Personal Income Tax” instead.
- Next, press 1 for “form, tax history, or payment”.
- Next, press 3 “for all other questions.”
-Next, press 2 “for all other questions.”
- When the system asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, do NOT enter anything.
-After it asks twice, you will be prompted with another menu.
-Finally, press 2 for personal or individual tax questions. The system should then transfer you to an agent.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies