turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

vash886

After filing 19's W2,my return is less than 18's return, when I made more, and paid more in taxes this past year vs 2018. I made no changes from last year. Why is that?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

After filing 19's W2,my return is less than 18's return, when I made more, and paid more in taxes this past year vs 2018. I made no changes from last year. Why is that?

Although tax law changes lowered the rates for five of seven tax brackets, your refund may not be as big as you expected because, proportionately, less income tax was taken out of your paychecks throughout the year. If you didn't update your W-4 for 2019 or 2018 (most people didn't), it’s highly possible this is why your refund isn’t as large as you expected.  We've got some other possible reasons for a year-over-year refund decrease, see below.  

The easiest way to determine what happened is to compare this year's return to the previous year's return.  Also, double check your data entry to ensure all numbers from your tax documents were entered correctly.   

Tip: If your refund is wildly off, you may have mistyped a dollar amount somewhere. An extra digit here, a missing number there, even a misplaced decimal point can have an eye-popping (but easily correctable) effect on your refund.

Video - Why did my refund go down compared to last year's?

Related Information:

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies

OK ... you may have not "made any changes" but there are always differences from year to year.  Review your 2018 & 2019 returns side by side to see what those differences are.  The increased income increases your taxes and the increase in withholding may not have kept up. 

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

Although tax law changes lowered the rates for five of seven tax brackets, your refund may not be as big as you expected because, proportionately, less income tax was taken out of your paychecks throughout the year. If you didn't update your W-4 for 2019 or 2018 (most people didn't), it’s highly possible this is why your refund isn’t as large as you expected.  We've got some other possible reasons for a year-over-year refund decrease, see below.  

The easiest way to determine what happened is to compare this year's return to the previous year's return.  Also, double check your data entry to ensure all numbers from your tax documents were entered correctly.   

Tip: If your refund is wildly off, you may have mistyped a dollar amount somewhere. An extra digit here, a missing number there, even a misplaced decimal point can have an eye-popping (but easily correctable) effect on your refund.

Video - Why did my refund go down compared to last year's?

Related Information:

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies