FortFun

2020 TurboTax updater fails with Microsoft Installer error 1603

Interesting. Was your download from TT or a 3rd party?

samgrif

Direct from TT in November, I think I can down load there as many times as I like to same pc.

FortFun

Interesting as they told me the issue was related to 3rd party cd's. I will admit they had me download Premier (I had Deluxe) so now I'm wondering if that is part of the problem.

You are correct, you can download as many time as necessary.

roroday

I am having problems trying to transmit my taxes.  It tells me I need to update first, but I keep getting an error 1603.  It will not let me bypass it.  HELP

FortFun

roroday ,

Try again after a restart. If that doesn't work contact TT. As I posted above, they had me uninstall and then install a download they provided. Phone support opens at 5am Pacific time and I was able to get through almost immediately by calling then.  https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

KathrynG3

Yes, @FortFun is correct. To contact TurboTax, see: What is the TurboTax phone number?

Error 1603 is an error that can be resolved. 

For more information, see: Error 1603: "A fatal error occurred during installation or updating".

Click the link to check that your device meets minimum system requirements.

newheart457

Started  TurboTax 2020. Got  screen which said install  latest updates.  Said  Yes to  Windows 10  screen  to allow changes. Got screen  to install  program updates  est 5  min..  Waited  but  install does not start,  eventually get  error  "Failed to  install update  Microsoft  installer  error  1603.  Fatal error during installation:." This is your problem, not a Windows installer problem. Please fix this soon.

EbonyA

Please review the following FAQ: Error 1603 @newheart457.

PATRICK_MOBILE_PMCS

AS I HAVE SAID BEFORE:::

this is what i had to do to get mine back up and running for now till I get forced to do another update that may go nuts again they should put in an option at this point letting us decide to update or not . i prefer to download my updates and run them myself .

FortFun

EbonyA,

I for one had tried (multiple times) the steps in the FAQ to no avail. The new download of the complete TT program was  the only solution that worked.

Marasarj

Thanks! ThT worked perfectly and I was able to update. I know there is supposed to be a bug update coming up as soon as Friday with all the changes caused by the stimulus. Hope it works.

JHtaxes

I have done what your update says - download the manual update to my desktop and ran it.  I rebooted several times.  I'm running AVG software and I've checked that and it's not blocking it.

Help!  I need to do my taxes and trying to do my adopted grand daughter's taxes!!!

Used Turbo tax for 15+ Years and never had this much trouble PLUS this years version - which I'm pretty sure is up-to-date on my computer since I installed and updated last weekend with NO PROBLEM - usually has a by pass method to skip.  We got all the way to the CHECK MY TAX and that's when this all happened.

rhugg3

Did you do a uninstall, reinstall from the administrator account?

FortFun

@JHtaxes,

Although I had posted what I thought was a solution, my TT did the same to me when I was ready to do the final check before filing. I was able to perform the update check and file by running the program as Administrator. Try that and best of luck!

PG-PC

no  my microsoft windows 10 user has administrator rights.  to find out if you have admin rights, search the windows box at the left bottom of the home screen and follow the instructions.