james630

2020 TurboTax updater fails with Microsoft Installer error 1603

I have same error message problem 1603.

How do I fix?

PATRICK_MOBILE_PMCS

AS I HAVE SAID IN EARLY POSTS

if you have not done so ,

1)   un install your turbo tax software

2)  do a good registry cleaning I use Free Window Registry Repair 4.2 ( Free Window Registry Repair: a windows registry repair freeware. (regsofts.com) )  does a really good job and the software is free.

3) reboot your system

4) re-install your turbo tax software .   it should work this time

this is what i had to do to get mine back up and running for now till I get forced to do another update that may go nuts again they should put in an option at this point letting us decide to update or not . I prefer to download my updates and run them myself .

DON'T FOR GET TO GIVE ME A THUMB UP

THANKS

Joann0617

This is what worked for me.   I uninstalled turbo tax.  Restarted my laptop, turned my virus software off.  Re downloaded turbo tax and it worked.   

Good luck 

RobM3

Uninstall and reinstall is the easy part. But then after a few software updates you cycle back to error 1603. Is the short term workaround solution to turn off the auto update option? Update sparingly, maybe not at all, until the core problem is fixed?

Yes ... turn off the updater until you are ready to file  or  unless you are required to do so for a form to be operational.  

This is my mini version of  a tutorial  that should be in the downloaded program: 

What is Forms Mode?

Forms Mode lets you view and make changes to your tax forms "behind the scenes."

If you're adventurous, you can even prepare your return in Forms Mode, but we don't recommend it. You may miss obscure credits and deductions you qualify for, and you may forget to report things that will come back and haunt you later.

Forms Mode is exclusively available in the TurboTax CD/Download software. It is not available in TurboTax Online.

Related Information:

If you want to play around with different figures and tax scenarios without affecting your original return you can ….

• >>>In the TurboTax CD/Download software by creating a test copy
  • 1.  Open your return in TurboTax. 
  • 2.  From the File menu, choose Save As. 
  • 3.  Give the copy a new name to distinguish it from the original (for example, by adding "Test" or "Example" to the file name). 
  • 4. Click  Save. You are now safely working in the test copy and anything you do here will not affect the original. 
  •  https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900642-how-to-make-a-test-copy-of-your-return

• >>  use the WHAT IF tool: 
  • - Click Forms Icon (upper right of screen) or Ctrl 2 (forms view) 
  • - Click on the Open Form Icon 
  • - In the “Type a form name.” area type What-If (with the dash), click on the name of the worksheet - click on Open Form 
  • - You will see the worksheet on the right side of the screen; enter the information right into the form 
  • - To get back to interview mode - click on the Step-by-Step Icon (upper right of screen) or Ctrl 1

It's always a good idea to make a backup copy of your tax data file, in case your original gets lost or corrupted. Here's how:

1. From the File menu in the upper-left corner of TurboTax, choose Save As (Windows) or Save (Mac).
  2. Browse to where you want to save your backup.
    • Tip: If you're saving to a portable device, save it to your computer first to prevent data corruption. Then, after completing Step 4, copy or move the backup file to your device.
  3. In the File name field, enter a name that will distinguish it from the original tax file (for example, add "Backup" or "Copy" to the file name)
  4. Click Save and then close TurboTax.
  5. Restart TurboTax and open the backup copy to make sure it's not corrupted. If you get an error, delete the backup and repeat these steps.

If you make changes to your original tax return file, repeat these steps to ensure your original and backup copies are in-synch.

Related Information:                             

AND save it as a PDF so you have access to a copy even if you don’t have the program still installed and operational :

AND protect the files :

overhillmom

How do get it to work? What happened? It looks like many people are having the same difficulty.

nanajoan42

Use another tax program. It appears as if TurboTax developers aren't interested in solving installation/update issues.

PATRICK_MOBILE_PMCS

sorry to hear your issue , I been using TurboTax from its beginning , and yes I just know they are working on the issue at hand , and they will fix it but things do take time and more so this year than before, below is a way to work around your issue for now .

AS I HAVE SAID IN EARLY POSTS

if you have not done so ,

1)   un install your turbo tax software

3) reboot your system

DON'T FOR GET TO GIVE ME A THUMB UP

THANKS

CINDY444

Windows 10 Pro, Turbotax 2020 Premier. No problem with any other program  updates. No option to bypass updates so can't even open Turbotax.  Got the CD but installed it from your website instead and was able to open and update until today (12/13/20).

Sarted  TurboTax 2020. Got  screen which said install  latest updates.  Said  Yes to  Windows 10  screen  to allow changes. 

Got screen  to install  program updates  est 5  min..  Waited  but  install does not start,  eventually get  error  "Failed to  install update  Microsoft  installer  error  1603.  Fatal error during installation:." 

System  hangs.  Have to  use  Task  Manager  to  stop TurboTax task.  Did  PC  restart and tried again.  Same result.

This is your problem, not a Windows installer problem. Please fix this soon.   ,

Billyb2

For over 8 hours, I tried every way I could find to fix this error. I finally decided to bite the bullet and delete  my almost finished Turbo tax 2020 file and down load it again. This finally worked, but I lost all my info. I am holding my breath waiting on the next Fed update.

Dan

If this happens again, no need to delete your tax file.  Just uninstall the software, download the latest version and reinstall.  The new install of the software will find your tax file and reload it for you.

facts

i   repaired as opposed to uninstalled turbo tax. my 2 state updates worked fine but the federal update still had 1603 error. does this imply a program error? 

facts

i uninstalled and reinstalled and it's working. the returns i worked on were saved and are as i left them

karlw

Absolutely sick of this issue.  I've uninstalled, it was working okay for a while, but now it's stuck on 10% updating.  I will be requesting my money back from Intuit!!!

georayscott

I did the manual update. It said the update was successful after the 2nd try. It then restarted Turbotax 2020 but it failed to come up.  Now I cannot get the software up, it keeps trying to update and fails. Unprofessional software and support