SteveM6

2020 TurboTax updater fails with Microsoft Installer error 1603

This solved it for me. I suspect the fix is in the CClean registry cleaner, which found a whole bunch of .net errors. Once those were removed, the reinstall went fine and the update were able to install with no problem.

CGiltner

I followed all the suggestions, manual update, update windows, repair Microsoft.Net in the system administrator screen, but didn't work.  I uninstalled and reinstalled Turbo Tax from CD and that fixed the issue.

Tuser202

This is now a known issue for TurboTax that Windows 10 Pro does not work with this product.  I just got off the phone with Tech Support and they confirmed it.  If you are using Windows 10 Pro with 2020 updates you will continue to receive this error.  I had an order PC that was using Windows 10 Pro with updates only until Sept of 2019 and that worked. I was able to install TT with updates and file my taxes.  If you have used up your five uses of your license and have access to another computer that is not using Win 10 Pro 2020 updates then I would contact TT to have the software installed onto that computer.   Turbo Tax needs to resolve this because we cannot just get a refund on the product that is not now compatible with our devices as sold to us.

Also, don't forget the issue with an external drive or USB connected while installing or using TT.  See that error posted for a solution. (just take out the USB or external drive to use TT. Do not re-enter the license key as you will use up one of your five uses.  Remove external drive or USB and restart TT)  Good luck!

karlw

I've had TurboTax Deluxe installed for over a week now.  It has previously updated successfully at least 2 times.  Now starting today it no longer updates.  I have Windows 10 Home.  TurboTax needs to get this fixed ASAP!!!

samgrif

I guess this means it’s not just Win 10 Pro, try uninstalling and reinstall.

Dan

I was on the phone today for over two hours with customer support.  We tried everything to solve the 1603 issue.  Finally the only thing that worked was uninstall and reinstall. Don't reinstall from the CD, download the latest version from the TurboTax website.  I'm using windows 10 Home.

Joann0617

I agree - I believe it is a turbo tax problem  I am having the same issues.   I did call turbo tax and they told me it was my laptop problem.    Please let me know how you fixed this

thank you

PATRICK_MOBILE_PMCS

if you have not done so ,

1)   un install your turbo tax software

2)  do a good registry cleaning I use Free Window Registry Repair 4.2 ( Free Window Registry Repair: a windows registry repair freeware. (regsofts.com) )  does a really good job and the software is free.

3) reboot your system

4) re-install your turbo tax software .   it should work this time

this is what i had to do to get mine back up and running for now till I get forced to do another update that may go nuts again they should put in an option at this point letting us decide to update or not . I prefer to download my updates and run them myself .

Tuser202

I would just be careful with reinstalling it. That’s what I had to do to get it working. I just uninstalled it and then reinstalled it and it worked again until the next requires update. Then I got the error again. What I didn’t realize was that each time I did that it used one of my five licenses. You can only do it four times and then it says you used up all your installs and won’t work anymore. If that happens call TurboTax. They are aware of the issue. They need to fix this. So frustrating. I had to rush to do my taxes because I was worried it would lock up Agaim. 

Dan

Apparently I got a more understanding customer support rep.  Reinstalling turbotax from their website was the only thing that worked.  If you are not comfortable doing that yourself I would try again get a service rep to help you.  The one other thing I did that might have made a difference, was I installed all the latest windows 10 Home updates.

Dan

boathouselanexa

tried to get into my return. said i had to update. update failed to install. cause, microsolf installer error 1616

SJCJ

Im having the same problem. Updates fail to install and can't use the program without the updates. When will the installer program be fixed?

PATRICK_MOBILE_PMCS

THEY ARE WORKING ON THE ISSUE BUT

if you have not done so ,

1)   un install your turbo tax software

3) reboot your system

PATRICK_MOBILE_PMCS

if you have not done so ,

1)   un install your turbo tax software

3) reboot your system

cauduong

Thanks Critter-3. Your suggestion worked. I was getting frustrated until your suggestion solved the problem.