Cass0317

2020 TurboTax updater fails with Microsoft Installer error 1603

@gagraham69 Please see the TurboTax FAQ below for help with error 1603:

Troubleshooting problems with Windows Installer and the Microsoft .NET Framework

If you need further assistance, for customer support hours and link, see below. Use the web form and type your question or a keyword. You will get an appropriate phone number for your issue. (You will not get a phone number if you use the link outside of operating hours.)
What is the TurboTax phone number?

dmayhall

I manually downloaded the update, installed, got a congratulations message that it was installed correctly. However, when Turbotax tries to restart, if forces another update, which then produces the same error message (1603). Cannot get out of that loop. Shut down, restart, reinstall, freezes. And again, that is after manually installing the update. 

bowood

It does the infinite loop of breaking when on D drive for me, but no issues on C drive.

CarissaM

If you have followed the troubleshooting in the guide posted above, and still running into the same error, it would be best to contact customer service by phone. 

You can reach customer service by clicking here

PATRICK_MOBILE_PMCS

today I had the same issue starting at 3pm   and after all the work arounds i have tried did not work by 9pm i finally got it back up and running.

step 1)  run the turbo tax install software  again. when asked to remove proceed to remove the software.

step 2) when completed run a registry clean( i used free registry cleaner (Free Window Registry Repair: a windows registry repair freeware. (regsofts.com) )  totaly free and does a great job.

step 3)  after clean reboot system, one back up and settled  reinstall the turbo tax software .

now after all the song and dance you should be good and able to run the software. 

now this may not work for everyone but it worked for me .

psgeorge28

Is Turbo Tax working this problem? Estimated time for solution.

PATRICK_MOBILE_PMCS

i reported the issue and can only hope they are working on it .  but i got mine up and running full steam ahead  

MichelleLO

@psgeorge28 The 1603 error occurs when the Microsoft .NET Framework Installer can't install and/or update your system. Please see Error 1603: "A fatal error occurred during installation or updating" for more information and the options to resolve the error. 

PATRICK_MOBILE_PMCS

been there and also a few others but none of them worked.

ended up un-installing the software 

did a good registry cleaning

reboot

reinstalled the software 

now it works again and also updated 

told turbo tax what i did as well 

i believe there is a little bit of a hiccup in the update that causes it to jump into a loop that will not stop 

BeanerECMO

This manual update is for all versions of TT2020, as well as for other years.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/updating/help/manually-update-turbotax-for-windows-soft[product ke...

NashayLO

After updating your OS, please make sure you reboot your computer. Also, uninstall/reinstall is a great resolution. We do have some specific steps for this error code 1603. Please see this TurboTax FAQ, Error 1603: "A fatal error occurred during install...

Another great article for Microsoft Installer Errors is, Troubleshooting problems with Windows Installer an...

If all else fails, please contact Microsoft Support

barryjedrick

The 1603 install problem is back again. Updates sometimes work and sometimes fail.  Stop blaming Microsoft. The Windows 10 Installer works perfectly to install updates for all other products, including Quicken.  There is obviously something wrong with the way Turbo Tax is doing updates.  Hire someone from Quicken to correct your problem if your own technical staff can't do it.

I have used Turbo Tax since 2007 and have never had problems like this.  If it continues I will not be able to use Turbo Tax to file my taxes this year and will have to find another way to do it.

Open TurboTax and select Check for Updates from the Online menu near the top. On a Mac, simply quit and reopen TurboTax. If there are any updates, you'll be prompted to download them.

Tips:

• It's best to use a wired, high-speed connection when updating, both to save time and minimize data corruption.
  • If your connection drops in the middle of the update, try again; it should pick up where it left off.
  • If you're having trouble updating on your PC, try a manual update.

Related Information:

PATRICK_MOBILE_PMCS

if you have not done so ,

1)   un install your turbo tax software

2)  do a good registry cleaning i use Free Window Registry Repair 4.2 ( Free Window Registry Repair: a windows registry repair freeware. (regsofts.com) )  does a really good job and the software is free.

3) reboot your system

4) re-install your turbo tax software .   it should work this time

this is what i had to do to get mine back up and running for now till I get forced to do another update that may go nuts again they should put in an option at this point letting us decide to update or not . i prefer to download my updates and run them myself .

samgrif

Just to add my experience,  I have also been using Turbotax for many years, since late 1990's at least.  I have never seen a problem as we are seeing now with the updater.  I tried most all the suggestions mentioned with no luck.  What has been working is to completely uninstall and reinstall, I believe the version that is maintained on the purchase download site is the most current.  When I do this, then updates run ok for awhile.  But I have had to do this several times and it's becoming a real pain, but at least it seems to work.  Another interesting action I took was to bring up Turbotax 2019 and see how it worked with updates.  It worked fine first time.  Updates processed fine, and my 2019 taxes still looked ok.  So this points me to the fact TT2020 has an updater problem.  Installation seems to work.  I don't know if the reinstall works for everyone, but thought I'd put this on here as fyi.