turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

2020 tax returns were rejected due to AGI

Hello,

I mailed my 2019 tax returns last year around March and the IRS still has not processed my return. I sent a check along with my return because I owed a small amount, but it did not take long for the check to clear. Anyway, I tried to file my 2020 tax returns electronically this time around, but they were in fact rejected due to the IRS not being able to confirm my identity through my AGI last year. Why is it my fault that the IRS cannot process my return in a timely manner? Isn't there another way that I confirm my identity? This whole thing is stupid. I don't want to file my returns by mail either. What options do I have?

Thank you!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

Let's try these ways to locate your AGI:

If you have your last year's tax return, read here: Find your AGI

If you used TurboTax online to file, you can access your account here Login and download a copy of your prior year’s 1040 tax return to find your AGI.  Click here for instructions: Prior year's return

If you do not have a copy of the tax forms, you may order a transcript from the IRS.  Click here Get  Transcript and select  "Get Transcript Online "  On the transcript, look under section "Adjustment to Income" and find the amount for Adjusted Gross Income.

If IRS continues to reject your corrected AGI, you will have to paper file, unfortunately.  For explanation, click here:  Correct AGI got rejected

The AGI is calculated as follows:

• It is equal to the total income you report that’s subject to income tax—such as earnings from your job, self-employment, dividends and interest from a bank account—minus specific deductions, or “adjustments” that you’re eligible to take.
  • Your AGI is calculated before you take the standard or itemized deductions —which you report in later sections of the return.

To learn more, click here: AGI

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I just efiled my 2020 tax return as I am getting a refund.  I have tried twice but the IRS is rejecting saying the AGI does not match last years.  I mailed my 2019 last year in July since we could due to COVID and also since I owed the IRS.  Why can't the IRS verify this?

Jim Owens

@goldenowens wrote:

I just efiled my 2020 tax return as I am getting a refund.  I have tried twice but the IRS is rejecting saying the AGI does not match last years.  I mailed my 2019 last year in July since we could due to COVID and also since I owed the IRS.  Why can't the IRS verify this?

Jim Owens

The IRS probably has not completed processing the 2019 return or it was processed but to late for the 2019 AGI to be entered in the IRS database.

Enter a 0 (zero) for the 2019 AGI and e-file the tax return again.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies