turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Jason03
Returning Member

2020 excess roth IRA contribution removed in 2020

Jan 2020 I put in the max amount ($6000) into my Roth IRA.  I got married in 2020 and our combined salary was over the limit to contribute to a Roth IRA.  I withdrew the $6000 plus the earnings I made in November 2020.  I received a 1099-R from my investment firm.

While filing my taxes, and it asks me how much I contributed in 2020 to Roth IRA, do I say $6000, or do I say $0 since I removed the entire amount?  I'm also populating all the data of the 1099-R.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

What code is in box 7?

What is in box 2a?

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
Jason03
Returning Member

box 7: 8J

2a: 1,500

OK, Just enter the 1099-R.  The box 2a is the earnings that will be taxable.  Say that you contributed zero since it was removed.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
Jason03
Returning Member

thank you! that was what I was planning based on research!

If my wife contributed $6,000 also but removed it and it's earnings in Feb 2021, does she need to report that she contributed in 2020 or can she put $0 as well in contributions since she removed them?

@Jason03 wrote:

thank you! that was what I was planning based on research!

If my wife contributed $6,000 also but removed it and it's earnings in Feb 2021, does she need to report that she contributed in 2020 or can she put $0 as well in contributions since she removed them?

If removed in 2021 then 1099-R will not come until Jan 2022, but it will be taxable on the 2020 tax return.

That 2021 1099-R should have a code "PJ" in box 7  and the taxable earnings in box 2a.

It would be reported the same way.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies