turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bloodhound1
Returning Member

2019 Turbo Tax will 'Save'

I have successfully downloaded 2\the 2019 TurboTax software top my MAC.  I have transferred my 2018 data to this file.

The 2019 TurboTax software will not allow me to save this file to any existing file. 

Help?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

15 Replies

Ok ... so you opened the program, started a new return & transferred in the 2018 info ?   So what are you now trying to save ?   The started 2019 return ? 

How do I transfer last year's return into the 2019 TurboTax for Mac software?

To transfer info from your 2018 TurboTax for Mac return:

1. Open TurboTax for Mac 2019 and choose File New Tax Return.
  2. Click Begin and choose Use a tax return that's on my computer.
  3. Select your 2018 return from the list and click Continue.
  4. Click Continue to review the transferred information. We'll also give you opportunities to review, edit, or delete transferred information later on.

Be aware that once you've gone past the Transfer screens, you can't go back to revisit them. If you need to re-do your transfer, go back to Step 1 to start over with a new return.

bloodhound1
Returning Member

Yes. The message says, (the file name) cannot be opened...

@bloodhound1 wrote:

The 2019 TurboTax software will not allow me to save this file to any existing file. 

It does not get saved to an "existing" file.   It creates a new file "<name>.tax2019"  that is default stored in your documents folder (unless you specify a different location).     You can use File -> Save or just quit TurboTax and it will ask the first time whey to save it and if you want to password protect the file.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Am having the same issue.  Start a new return in TT 2019, transfer 2018 info, then try to "Save" or "Save As" and get the error message "File not found.  Check the file name and try again".  Have the same problem if I simply try to start a new return from scratch without transferring 2018 info.

Using Windows 10, version 1903

This happens when you enable Controlled Folder Access but don't add the TurboTax program to the allowed list. Go to settings and Add using "recently blocked  apps"

OR Turn off the protection.

@bloodhound1  What's happening on your MAC, I have no idea.

I think that MAY have been the issue.  When I first posted this, I had already changed the Controlled Folder Access when a pop-up notified me that it had blocked an app, but that didn't solve the issue immediately.  AFTER posting this, I noticed that the November Windows update from yesterday was awaiting a reboot.  With the reboot, I could now save my 2019 files.  I didn't think the change of the Controlled Folder Access required a reboot, but in any event, I'm now good!

Thanks for the help!

WIN 10 updates can often wreak havoc ... after any update reboot the computer at least twice to insure it all updates are installed correctly.  

I also started my 2019 return, imported my 2018 return info, and was unable to save my new 2019 return by any means, including selecting "Save As" from the File menu.  I followed your advice about the controlled folder access and that cleared the problem right up.  I always forget about that.  Thanks so much!

jkersh1
Returning Member

I have the same issue. I have 'repaired' TT to no avail. Win 10Pro.

JeanneLO
Intuit Alumni

Please contact customer support for this issue:

Use this website to contact TurboTax support during business hours.

https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Pete1945

How can I save my file.  It says read only version save to another version.

Dave

Pete1945

Yes

Pete1945

I trying to save the 2019 started return   How can I do it

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies