turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Capt Kirk

2019 Turbo Tax Deluxe has FROZEN! Can't select (click) on ANYTHING. Do NOT want to restart since I can't save my completed return? Any suggestions?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

2019 Turbo Tax Deluxe has FROZEN! Can't select (click) on ANYTHING. Do NOT want to restart since I can't save my completed return? Any suggestions?

1.  I would suggest you check your internet connection.  Try to log out and sign back in the program.

2.  You should also clear your cache and sign back into the program.

To clear cache, click here: Cache

3.  You may also try a different browser.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
DG28
Level 2

The same thing is happening to me right now as I'm using 2018 turbo tax deluxe. I believe the original question was referring to the software so you can't use a different browser. As in the previous question, if its frozen, how should I proceed because I'm afraid that if restart my computer, the information that I've entered so far will be lost since I didn't save.

Does the downloaded version of turbo tax deluxe automatically save as you go along?

The Online software does

for Desktop software

No..it doesn't normally save as you go along on the Windows desktop computer  (does on a MAC, but no guarantees)..

....BUT, what does occur on a windows computer ..in cases of lockups, is that a so-called temporary backup file is created that should be very close to where you left off.  You can find these files in the same directory that your main file is located, but it has a tilde "~" in front of the filename.  So if your main tax return was called  "Bobs_2019_taxes.tax2019" there is a temp/backup file called "~Bobs_2019_taxes.tax2019" in that same file directory.  You can open that file and it should take you to into a tax return containing most, or all of the data you had entered before the lockup occurred .  When you open that tilde file, you should immediately safe it with Save-As to a non-tilde filename, to avoid confusing with any backup files in the future..

Lockups rarely occur on a Windows computer, unless you 1) installed it on a non-supported W7 OS, 2) or failed to install TTX as an administrator, 3) or are attempting to use it in a Guest account without administrator privileges .

That's for a full lockup of the software...if, during your entries,  you get a spinning blue circle on a page that won't move on...there's a different workaround fix for that situation.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

if your desktop version is hanging on you, you have no choice but to stop it using TaskMgr, or reboot, or both.

This experience will larn ya to File->Save more frequently.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies