turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2019 Desktop Software Error Code 606 when I try to open the software. How to fix this and open my software?

The support link btw does NOTHING.

Follow Joe M’s advice

606 error for TurboTax 2019

WINDOWS
ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS
UNINSTALL
then TT will pop up you press
REPAIR
wait
then 
DONE
You’re good to go, you can add your key in then.

Note to TurboTax:  FIX THIS

2019 Desktop Software Error Code 606 when I try to open the software. How to fix this and open my software?

The original FAQ link has the resolution in it including the one you mentioned ... for others seeing this post later read the FAQ in this link : 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/turbotax-desktop-launches-as-basic-and-gives-error...

Critter

Sorry but the steps I outlined are not mentioned in the article you refer to. I went thru those step by step excluding the ones where I was required to mess with registry settings etc and none of them worked. I performed those steps on my own and with TT help on the line and never once do they suggest "repair". All I am asking of the folks (who are obviously smarter and more experienced than I) to stop referring to a broken process and start referring to a simple 30 second fix.

Respectfully

Novice who happen to stumble on a fix

Joe M

The FAQ was changed since last I read it ... I have notified the monitors who can pass this up the food chain.

TY

this advice (uninstall, reboot twice) is simply wrong.  This is not ok.

i was SO VERY HOPEFUL this would work, but it didn't.  It did "repair" and come back as Basic, and then I got Error Code 606 when I entered the license code.  I'm about to conclude that it's time to just end my relationship with TTax.  Fingerpointing at Microsoft is just lame in this circumstance.

the fact that TTax has help available only during business hours is lame.  Sad.  annoying.

Carl
Level 15

Sure wish I had come across the post originally. I've got the solution and it works about 85-90% of the time.

TURBOTAX/WINDOWS ERROR CODE 606

- Remove the TurboTax 2019 installation CD from the CD/DVD drive.

- Ensure the computer is connected to the Internet.

-Click Start and then click the Settings icon (the little gear wheel) to open the Windows Settings window.

- Select the Apps applet icon to open the Apps applet.

- In the Apps applet select Apps & Features on the left.

- On the right, scroll down to TurboTax 2019 and click on it. Then click the Uninstall button.

- If prompted, click YES on the UAC window.

- on the “Repair/Uninstall TurboTax 2019” window click the “Repair TurboTax” button.

- The program will do its “repair” over the Internet. It can take as long as 20 minutes. So be patient.

When finished you will need to reboot and then you should be fine.

if you see error code 1334 then you have other problems not related to the TurboTax program. Could be issues with the windows operating system or some other 3rd party program besides TurboTax, that you have installed. You can restart the computer into safe mode with networking enabled, and attempt the process again. For instructions to start windows 10 in safe mode, see https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12376/windows-10-start-your-pc-in-safe-mode

TRY TRY AGAIN.   I kept repeating Joe M.'s solution and it eventually worked.  Thank you Joe M.

Hello, 

I've tried JoeM's and JREDWOLF's fixes several times, to no avail. Anybody have any other ideas?

Do I need to restart the computer as well?

HEY! 

Joe M and JREDWOLF's  fix DOES work; my only comment is, I had to try it and restart the computer a couple times. 
Thanks you both for the tip!

TURBO TAX, ARE YOU LISTENING!?!?

First this is a public forum and not TT support...and even if it was did you really expect an answer on New Year’s Day?

Use this website to contact TurboTax support during business hours - https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/
Support can also be reached by messaging them on these pages https://www.facebook.com/turbotax/ and https://twitter.com/TeamTurboTax

Hey Folks and especially Intuit if you are listening.

I have multiple desktops in multiple homes. For awhile I was giving the whole blaming it on Microsoft Windows Installer some deference. Seems like all of my Windows desktops must have bad installers :-). Second software install different PC same issue. To those who have not had luck with the repair solution I proposed I offer let the machine sit for a few minutes after "repair" is done. It will reach out for updates and magically Basic turns into Deluxe !

You should not even need to reboot !

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies