turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

2018 Tax Returns Rejected

After I E-file my 2018 Tax Returns I get an email stating that my return has been rejected. After opening my Turbo Tax software to view my status, it states that "The IRS Couldn't Confirm My Identity" It looks like the AGI amount entered for me into TurboTax before filing didn't match what the IRS has in their database. 

I have reviewed my 2017 AGI amount over and over, confirmed this amount, reentered the amount, and refiled but I continue to get the same rejection notice. 

I am at a lost right now!

tbone1533

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

16 Replies

Try entering a 0 (zero) for the 2017 AGI.  If that also is rejected then your only other option is to print and mail your tax return.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for the procedure to print a tax return for mailing when using the Mac desktop editions - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/print-and-file/help/how-do-i-paper-file-in-the-turbotax-for-mac-cd...

@tbone1533 , I too have the same issue. I went to the IRS website and downloaded my 2017 transcript and verified the amount I entered is correct. You may wish to try that as well, it took maybe 10 minutes. However, I didn't submit those returns until January of this year. I am curious to know if you filed late as well.  @DoninGA , I am trying the zero solution suggested.

@whitiepossum wrote:

@tbone1533 , I too have the same issue. I went to the IRS website and downloaded my 2017 transcript and verified the amount I entered is correct. You may wish to try that as well, it took maybe 10 minutes. However, I didn't submit those returns until January of this year. I am curious to know if you filed late as well.  @DoninGA , I am trying the zero solution suggested.

Yep...when you file the previous year late, then you may have to use a zero.  The use of your actual 2017 AGI to e-file 2018 assumes you filed 2017 on-time, or at least e-filed 2017 taxes before October of 2018. thus, a zero is usually requited for anyone who late-filed 2017 taxes after October of 2018 .

_____

ANNND, for people who successfully e-filed 2017 taxes on-time, but later amended their tax return....they must use the AGI of the originally-filed and accepted tax return, not the AGI on the amended forms.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

Hi whitepossum,

I did file my returns late as well. I've since changed my AGI to zero and my returns have been accepted.

Good luck,

tbone1533

Hi @tbone1533 ,

Wow, I did as well but was still rejected. Congratulations on your success. All the more reason to be on time I guess.

@DoninGA @tbone1533 @SteamTrain 

UPDATE: I don't know what happened the first time I entered zero; I tried it a second time given @tbone1533 's success and @SteamTrain 's further explanation and it was accepted. woot woot!

Thank You all. 

Jim

Whitiepossum

Dorese21

I filed my 2017 this year April 2019 and I'm getting the same notification for my 2018 submitted only after I got my late 2017 filed returns

@Dorese21 

Makes no difference if you filed 2017 late, and even if it was already processed before filing 2018 taxes.....IF you did not file your 2017 taxes by 15 Oct of 2018......then even if the late-filed 2017 was processed already, you have to use a zero for 2017 AGI for  "E-filing" your 2018 tax return now in 2019.

If you still can't get your 2018 tax return to go thru by e-file...then you likely will have to change to file by mail and mail it in yourself.  (use a tracking method at the Post Office service counter, and remember that Federal and State forms do not go to the same place.)

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
Mariaelenachong
Returning Member

You need to go to www.irs.gov and get the number to call them and request your AGI that you need, you won't be able to talk to a live person, it's all automated but it was not really hard at all you just have to be patient and follow the necessary prompts, and you will get what you need hopefully, I did.

Have been trying for weeks to fix but when I hit fix my return, nothing happens. Tried paying extra $60 for expert help but that isn't working either. In the process of selling and moving right now and would like to get this fixed. Can't get into return to find out what's wrong?

terrygordonweller wrote:

Have been trying for weeks to fix but when I hit fix my return, nothing happens. Tried paying extra $60 for expert help but that isn't working either. In the process of selling and moving right now and would like to get this fixed. Can't get into return to find out what's wrong?

You didn't mention any clue as to what the issue is.   Does it have to do with the 2017 AGI or something else?    What is the rejection error code or message?

"Can't get into return to find out what's wrong?"

To open an already-filed return that rejected, look at the Tax Home or in the section "Your Tax Returns & Documents" and find a link that says "Add a State."   That doesn't really add one, but opens the return back up.

"Tried paying extra $60 for expert help but that didn't work either."

Does that mean you upgraded to Live TurboTax?   What product are you using-- is it Live Deluxe at 119.99?   That's $60 more than regular Deluxe, so I would guess that may be it.   If so, see the following on how to contact a tax expert.  By the way, with that feature you also get a review of your return prior to filing, which they will sign, if you wish to schedule a review as well.

Hours are 5AM-5PM Pacific (8AM-8PM Eastern) Monday-Friday

FAQ:  How do I connect with a tax expert in TurboTax Live?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/expert-review/help/how-do-i-connect-with-a-tax-expert-in-turbotax-...

FAQ:  What is TurboTax Live?
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/choosing-a-product/help/what-is-turbotax-live/01/27191

FAQ:  How do I schedule my review using TurboTax Live?
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/expert-review/help/how-do-i-schedule-my-review-using-turbotax-live...

What is the status of my 2018 return now?

@toconnor52 wrote:

What is the status of my 2018 return now?

You haven't said anything at all about your 2018 return.  We have no way of knowing what all you have done and referring to.   If you want people in this user community forum to comment, you'll need to explain what your situation is and what you need to know.

What information do you currently have?
Manage cookies