turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

thinktax
Returning Member

1099-R requiring amending 2019 return

In Feb 2020, I got ETrade to rollover $5000 from my traditional IRA to my Roth IRA. Rather than doing a rollover they did a recharacterization. On my brokerage statements I can see it listed as "recharacter" for $4975.32 after deducting $25 IRA characterization fee. I received a 1099-R from Etrade for 2020 for $4975.32 with code 'R'. When I enter the 1099-R into Turbotax, I am told that I need to amend my 2019 return. I have also received a 5498 for the year 2020 for the same amount of $4975.32. Do I have to still file an amended 2019 return or can I use the 5498 to indicate that this is just a transfer of funds from Traditional IRA to Roth IRA? I am hoping there is a simple fix to this than amending returns.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
Nick-K-EA
Expert Alumni

Unfortunately, a recharacterization is not the same thing as a rollover. Here's a short article which explains the difference. Once you understand that, it will be clear why you must amend your 2019 return.

https://thefinancebuff.com/traditional-and-roth-ira-recharacterize-vs-convert.html

Nick K, EA
thinktax
Returning Member

Thank you for the reply. 1099-R is got has the year 2020. What do I amend in my 2019 return?

@thinktax 

Is the $5,000 money you had contributed earlier in 2019?
Whether you amend depends on whether you took an IRA deduction on your 2019 return, or filed 2019  Form 8606 for non-deductible, which would also be wrong.

E-Trade messed you up by not following your instructions.

thinktax
Returning Member

@fanfare Yes, the $5000 contribution was in 2019.

I did not take deduction on my 2019 return.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies