turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1099-NEC under personal income

I'm employed with a regular full-time employer, but did a few months of consulting on my own, part-time, this year. In TurboTax Home&Business, I added my income where it asked me - in the 1099-NEC section, while I was doing the personal income section. The result was that I didn't get a Schedule 2, Schedule C, or Schedule SE - and it didn't account for my self-employment taxes that I needed to pay. It included it as regular income and looks like it only accounted for regular income tax.

After I realized this, I re-did the 1099-NEC in the business section - there was a place for 1099-NEC income there, so I added that and removed what I did earlier from the personal section. Now the return shows the self-employment taxes and all the expected schedules (and a small tax liability instead of a healthy refund).

This is the first time I've done any self-employment, so I just want to make sure I did the right thing. Is there a scenario where 1099-NEC wouldn't be subject to self-employment tax? The consulting was just myself, not through a corp or LLC or anything.

I appreciate any insight - want to make sure I don't severely underpay or overpay.

Thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
PattiF
Expert Alumni

Your description of the income that you received as a consultant would require that you file a Schedule C and pay self-employment taxes. Include any consulting expenses that you had such as supplies, phone, mileage or other items.

There is a scenario where the 1099-NEC would not be considered self-employment. That would be for a public official.

Internal Revenue Code section 3401(c) indicates that an “officer, employee, or elected official” of government is an employee for income tax withholding purposes. However, in some special cases the law or a Section 218 Agreement may specify otherwise.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
PattiF
Expert Alumni

Your description of the income that you received as a consultant would require that you file a Schedule C and pay self-employment taxes. Include any consulting expenses that you had such as supplies, phone, mileage or other items.

There is a scenario where the 1099-NEC would not be considered self-employment. That would be for a public official.

Internal Revenue Code section 3401(c) indicates that an “officer, employee, or elected official” of government is an employee for income tax withholding purposes. However, in some special cases the law or a Section 218 Agreement may specify otherwise.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Interesting - thanks for the insight.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies