turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I report income from a 1099-Misc that is not work related but is a reimbursement without filing a schedule C?

The amount is listed in "Box 3 Other Income"

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
IreneS
Intuit Alumni

How do I report income from a 1099-Misc that is not work related but is a reimbursement without filing a schedule C?

You can enter the 1099-MISC in TurboTax as "Other Common Income," which is reported on line 8 of 1040 Schedule 1  and will not generate Schedule C or SE tax.  Please use the following steps:

1.      Click on Federal > Wages & Income.

2.      Scroll down to the Other Common Income section. 

3.      Click on the Start/Revisit box next Form 1099-MISC. 

4.      On the screen Did you get a 1099-MISC?  click on the Yes button

5.      On the next screen, Let's get the info from your 1099-MISC, enter the information from the 1099-MISC.
6.      On the following screens, answer the following questions:

• Did it involve work that's like your main job? No.
    • You got it in 2019
    • No, it didn't involve an intent to earn money

7.  Continue through the rest of the interview screens. The income will appear on line 8 of 1040 Schedule 1  (Other Income).

[Edited | 3/10/2020 |  10:07am PDT]

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Turbotax want me to complete a Schedule C.

I found the answer in "1099 misc box 3, NOT self-employed".
IreneS
Intuit Alumni

You can enter the 1099-MISC in TurboTax as "Other Common Income," which is reported on line 8 of 1040 Schedule 1  and will not generate Schedule C or SE tax.  Please use the following steps:

1.      Click on Federal > Wages & Income.

2.      Scroll down to the Other Common Income section. 

3.      Click on the Start/Revisit box next Form 1099-MISC. 

4.      On the screen Did you get a 1099-MISC?  click on the Yes button

5.      On the next screen, Let's get the info from your 1099-MISC, enter the information from the 1099-MISC.
6.      On the following screens, answer the following questions:

• Did it involve work that's like your main job? No.
    • You got it in 2019
    • No, it didn't involve an intent to earn money

7.  Continue through the rest of the interview screens. The income will appear on line 8 of 1040 Schedule 1  (Other Income).

[Edited | 3/10/2020 |  10:07am PDT]

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

My schedule 1 line 8 and line 22 is not working. After 6 hours on phone and taxes due today they said they would open a ticket. Said the interview section on the schedule 1 is not there or not working. Had a insurance company send a 1099-misc sent to me for attendant care. It’s money that goes to others I my household for services. So per 3 CPA’s and Aftorney the only way around it now is to add it to line 8 and subtract it on line 22 with the words (In Home Care Paid To Others). Because it’s not earned income. But being I can’t get the interview section to work I can not get to the area to put it in. 
Per TurboTax, a ticket was made to fix the problem. Within an hour got the email to do survey and the ticket was closed. Long store short, how do you get info in box 22 schedule 1 when the software is not working? 
After 5 hours on hold and a hour talking to them. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies