Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1095-A Daughter Only in 2022

Hello,

Since our daughter (DOB 3/4/1989) would still be in school only (no working) for most of the time in 2022 and is not certain if she finds work in 2022 after completing school, we purchased health insurance through the Marketplace only for her. We have Medicare insurance so we do not purchase health insurance through the Marketplace for ourselves (Me and my spouse are her parents filing jointly). So there is probably only one 1095-A with her name listed on it as the only covered individual. If she finds work in 2022 and cannot be claimed as a dependent on our tax return due to her income exceeding the threshold amount for dependent, how we and our daughter deal with the 1095-A and 8962 forms when filing 2022 tax return? Does only our daughter need to do form 8962 on her separate return? Or we as the parents also need to fill out form 8962? Please give me specific instructions on what to do in this tax situation.

Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Simple ... if she is the only one listed on the 1095-A then only she will report it on her tax return. 

Thank you for your input. Let me clarify a few more things. So we purchased health insurance only for our daughter through the Marketplace. Based on our household income level, we qualify for some premium tax credits for her coverage. So regarding tax filing, only our daughter needs to report the amounts on her 1095-A on the 8962 form on her own tax return. And we do not have to fill out form 8962 on our joint return right?

If your names are on the policy and she is the covered person  then you both will have to report the 1095-A on both returns but you have the option to allocate how much of the PTC you want on each return ... the total % on each return simply needs to add up to 100% between both returns.  So you can do 50/50, 60/40, etc. 

Thank you. I read elsewhere that we can allocate the amounts if there are 2 or more covered individuals on the 1095-A form. Since we parents are just the recipients (not covered), and our daughter is the only covered individual on the 1095-A form, is it still okay to allocate the amounts the way you mention?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies