Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cyp
Level 2

1095-A and 1095-B

I receive both 1095-A and 1095-B form. Both form indicates I have all year insurance coverage.

How should I enter the information? Could I just enter either one?

If I enter 1095-A, it indicated my income is higher than the poverty line and I need to repay the premium tax credit. 

I already have the insurance coverage from 1095-B. Do I have to enter 1095-A? 

Thank you!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AJ
Level 6

1095-A and 1095-B

Yes, if you received any health insurance subsidy benefits from the government, then you need to enter the 1095-A into the tax return to balance your account for the tax subsidy.  Sorry if that was not the news that you wanted to hear.

View solution in original post

56 Replies
AJ
Level 6

1095-A and 1095-B

Yes, if you received any health insurance subsidy benefits from the government, then you need to enter the 1095-A into the tax return to balance your account for the tax subsidy.  Sorry if that was not the news that you wanted to hear.

cyp
Level 2

1095-A and 1095-B

Thank you!

jarat44

1095-A and 1095-B

Hi,

The IRS is holding up my refund because it says that I had some healthcare premiums paid for me in 2018. I paid all of my healthcare premiums although my sister did pay three months for me. The IRS wants me to send in a 1095A, which I don't have and to fill out the 8962 form. Since I do not have a 1095A I cannot fill out the 8962. My sister was just trying to help me out at the beginning of last year and she may have paid my health insurer directly. I know that she did not anticipate that doing so might cause a problem. Is she responsible for sending me a 1095A because she did that?

Thanks for any help regarding this!

AJ
Level 6

1095-A and 1095-B

To jarat44: Your question appears to be more of an insurance process question than a tax question.  I will provide basic ideas in hopes that it might help you to move forward.  But please remember that this forum is for tax questions--not for insurance problems.

With regard to taxes, I can say that the taxpayer is supposed to be the responsible party for their own insurance, the insurance for their spouse, and insurance for any dependent on their tax return.  The insurance subsidy is based upon an initial estimate of income. Once one gets the subsidy, then they must balance their account with their 1095A at the end of the year.  At the end of the year, the actual income is compared to the estimated income.  The Form 1095A reports the subsidy numbers.  If the subsidy is too low, one gets extra money added to their return.  But if the subsidy was too high, then the government takes some back to put the account in balance.  It's a relatively simple process if everybody follows the rules.

So back to the insurance question. I don't believe that anybody should be buying government subsidized insurance in your name if you are not included on their tax return.  For initial steps, it appears that you will need to talk with your sister.  You need to know all the details, and you don't want to be guessing about important details. If you are not your sister's dependent, then I don't understand why she would get subsidized insurance in your name.  After, knowing all the details, I suggest talking to the insurance company to explain what happened and see if they have a process for this case.  Try checking the contact information provided at HealthCare.gov 1-800-318-2596. Perhaps they have the procedures for this case.

1095-A and 1095-B

Do I have to enter a 1095-B?  If so - how and where do I enter it.

don

1095-A and 1095-B

No.  For 2019 you only need to enter a 1095A not a 1095 B or 1095 C

LynnD1

1095-A and 1095-B

I received only a 1095-B as in previous years.  Turbo tax only has a place for 1095-A Information.  If I check NO for receiving a 1095-A,  Turbo Tax says my return will be delayed.  How do I enter 1095-B? 

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

1095-A and 1095-B

You do not report the information on Form 1095-B on your tax return. If you have a 1095-B, a form titled Health Coverage, the IRS does NOT need any details from this form. You can keep any 1095-B forms you get from your health insurance company or the government agency that sponsors your plan for your records. The Form 1095-A is for Obamacare. If you do not have a 1095-A skip the questions concerning Form 1095-A.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

1095-A and 1095-B

It is confusing that the 1095-A form is addressed but no mention of the 1095-B form which the VA issues to me.  And that saying no to the 1095-A penalizes me.  That's not fair!

1095-A and 1095-B

@LeewQ wrote:

It is confusing that the 1095-A form is addressed but no mention of the 1095-B form which the VA issues to me.  And that saying no to the 1095-A penalizes me.  That's not fair!

There is no penalty for not having or filing a Form 1095-A if you are not required to file a Form 1095-A.  

The Form 1095-B is not entered on a tax return.

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

1095-A and 1095-B

You do not report the information on Form 1095-B on your tax return. If you have a 1095-B, a form titled Health Coverage, the IRS does NOT need any details from this form. You can keep any 1095-B forms you get from your health insurance company or the government agency that sponsors your plan for your records.  Form 1095-A is for health insurance purchased through the Marketplace (Obama Care). If you do not have a 1095-A skip the questions concerning Form 1095-A.

wayne0391

1095-A and 1095-B

I got a good answer and know what to do. Just hoping that when I get to the tax question that I can find the icon that I was told to click on. Thanks for the system of question and answer to and from the community is a good system.

VictoriaD75
Expert Alumni

1095-A and 1095-B

Follow these steps:

• Click on Deductions & Credits under Federal
  • Under the menu for Medical, click Start/Revisit next to Affordable Care Act (Form 1095-A)
  • Answer Yes indicating that you have the form to enter
  • Complete the information on the next screen to match your form and click continue

If you purchased insurance through the marketplace and received a 1095-A, that must still be reported on your return.This will calculate the Net Premium Tax Credit on Form 8962. This form reconciles the amount of the credit available to you with the amount already received as an Advance Premium Tax Credit. The result could be additional credit owed to you, or you may have to repay any amount already received in advance. Because of either of these results, it is important for taxpayers to include the information from Form 1095-A on their return.

Only the 1095-A needs to be entered on your return from insurance purchased through the marketplace. If you received a different 1095 form, such as one from employer benefits, you do not need to enter anything on your return. It is for your records only.

Hta

1095-A and 1095-B

If I only received for 1095 B, what and where should I enter it?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies