turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1041 irrevocable grantor trust interest income of $10.63

Have an irrevocable grantor trust.  The life insurance company sent a 1099int for $10.63.  Is there a need to file if the total taxable income is less than $100?  Would it be good practice to file even if there is no tax?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

@33mon wrote:

Would it be good practice to file even if there is no tax?

Yes, it would be considered good practice to file (regardless of whether or not a return is required).

View solution in original post

I am not certain with respect to the stimulus question, but you can type "Schedule K-1" into the search box which should bring up a "Jump to..." link. Click on that link and select Estates or Trusts (Form 1041).

View solution in original post

16 Replies

@33mon wrote:

Would it be good practice to file even if there is no tax?

Yes, it would be considered good practice to file (regardless of whether or not a return is required).

thanks

jrlehmkuhl
Returning Member

How do I report interest of a Grantor Trust on my 2019 tax form ?

@jrlehmkuhl wrote:

How do I report interest of a Grantor Trust on my 2019 tax form ?

You would report the interest as interest income from the grantor trust directly on your individual income tax return (1040).

If you are preparing a 1041 for the grantor trust, then the trust should generate and issue a Grantor Information Statement (GIS) and the interest will be reported on the GIS. You will then proceed to enter the interest income from the GIS on your 1040.

The 1099 from the insurance company used the EIN number of the Grantor Trust.  So is there an exemption amount for the grantor trust or do you have to file a 1041 for the $10.41 interest?

Optional methods #2 and #3 are delineated in the IRS instructions at the link below.

https://www.irs.gov/instructions/i1041#idm140366310222736

I received a 2020 Grantor Trust Tax Statement.  This indicates a Gross Taxable Interest, Ordinary Dividends and a Capitol Gains  Distribution.  How do I report these?  Thank you.

@Dfleishman wrote:

I received a 2020 Grantor Trust Tax Statement.  This indicates a Gross Taxable Interest, Ordinary Dividends and a Capitol Gains  Distribution.  How do I report these? 

You can report these income items in the appropriate sections of TurboTax individually, or you can pretend you received a K-1 (1041) and enter the items using that method. 

Thank You!

I'm still not sure how to handle the GROSS Taxable Interest, Ordinary Dividends and Capital Gains Distributions from my 2020 Grantor Trust Tax Information Statement.  Also, I entered the wrong amount for my Stimulus payment.  I already completed the Federal Section.  How do I go back and revise this figure?

@Dfleishman 

There are specific sections of the program to enter investment income, such as interest and dividends (and also capital gains distributions).

Which version of TurboTax are you using? If you would like to enter the figures as if you had received a K-1 and are using an online version of TurboTax, you would need to be using at least TurboTax Premier.

I'm using the Premier Version.  Is there a step-by-step method?  Also, how do I return to the Stimulus Questions.  I first entered the wrong amount and wish to correct.

I am not certain with respect to the stimulus question, but you can type "Schedule K-1" into the search box which should bring up a "Jump to..." link. Click on that link and select Estates or Trusts (Form 1041).

DianeW777
Employee Tax Expert

Yes, you can use the information here to enter a 1041 K-1.  

To enter your form K-1 in TurboTax, open your return and follow these steps:

• Click on Federal Taxes, then on Wages and Income
  • Under All Income, scroll to S-corps, Partnerships, and Trusts section
  • Click Show more and click Start next to Schedules K-1, Q 
  • Continue to enter the requested information and select Boxes 1-5 for your entry (see attached image)

The stimulus questions will fall under the 'Federal Review' tab at the top once you are signed into your TurboTax Account. This is where the figures can be corrected.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies