turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1031 Exchange for Rental Property

The buyer of my rental property did the 1031 Exchange for their property.... me as the seller doesn't do anything different on MY taxes compared to selling any other rental property right?

Just making sure, coz on the rental section there's a part that asks if I sold or disposed of this property and then says "Do not check this box if the property was part of a like-kind exchange." ... well I wasn't doing the like-kind exchange, my buyer is, just not sure if the question is talking about me or the property itself.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

@Redan54 wrote:

....there's a part that asks if I sold or disposed of this property and then says "Do not check this box if the property was part of a like-kind exchange."....

That particular question refers to whether you (as seller) did a 1031 exchange, not the buyer.

Therefore, it does not apply unless you exchanged your property for a replacement property in a like-kind exchange.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

@Redan54 wrote:

....there's a part that asks if I sold or disposed of this property and then says "Do not check this box if the property was part of a like-kind exchange."....

That particular question refers to whether you (as seller) did a 1031 exchange, not the buyer.

Therefore, it does not apply unless you exchanged your property for a replacement property in a like-kind exchange.

thx for the clarification, thought it was asking about myself but wanted to double-check in case it was asking about the property - coz the property is in a like-exchange transaction, but with buyer side, not me as the seller.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies