turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Question about Student Loan Interest Deduction

I graduated from college two years ago but at age 26 I am still paying principal plus interest on student loans during the tax year. I took a full-time academic workload during my college career except for my final year where I took half the full-time workload. My MAGI is 48K; can I claim the student loan interest deduction for up to $2500 in interest paid during this year and up to $2500 in interest for subsequent years until the loan is paid off? 

If I understand correctly, as long as it participated in qualified education for a degree or certificate, I can deduct it regardless if I graduated years ago as long as those expenses are still incurred and paying them back?

I tried reading the publication but it did not specify where or not it was ok for graduated students.

Thank you!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I found my answer!

"Time limit on deduction - The taxpayer can deduct interest paid during the remaining period of the student loan."

View solution in original post

3 Replies

I found my answer!

"Time limit on deduction - The taxpayer can deduct interest paid during the remaining period of the student loan."

KatieH
Community Manager

Thank you for updating the community, @pnwcommtax! Glad you found your answer!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

You can continue to take the deduction for the amount of student loan interest you pay each year, after you have graduated and until the loans are paid off.  The amount you can deduct is limited by your Adjusted Gross Income.

For 2018, the maximum amount that you can deduct for interest paid on student loans remains $2,500. Phaseouts apply for taxpayers with MAGI in excess of $65,000 ($135,000 for joint returns) and is completely phased out for taxpayers with MAGI of $80,000 or more ($165,000 or more for joint returns)

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies