cbw35

QBI income and "safe harbor"

I recently completed my taxes using TT Premier. When I print out my return I get all the forms I expect and some "safe harbor" forms that the IRS wants me to mail in with my return.  In TT I did not request to take a "safe harbor" but the forms printed out anyway. Am I missing something here?

AmyC

QBI income and "safe harbor"

Safe harbor - most common is probably real estate related, possibly in your depreciation section. Could be 401k related, business related. The program does a lot behind the scenes. The IRS is still working on forms. If you have safe-harbor, I am not convinced all of your forms are ready. The IRS does not open until February 12. They work on forms from most common to least common. See Federal form availability for expected release dates. Once released, we work to incorporate them quickly.

You may have safe harbor forms that need to be mailed in. They should be mailed within 3 days of your return being accepted. The IRS has 48 hours to accept or reject your return, once they open on the 12th - if you have already e-filed.

BKUrban

QBI income and "safe harbor"

So, for me as well.  I did not select QBI and the forms printed out.  I looked at the worksheets and states QBI is not elected.  The issue is the 200+ hours working on each of my properties.  The form printed wants me to acknowledge SAFE HARBOR and sign but it's Not Applicable.  I don't think I want to include these in my mailed forms.  

Yes I plan on mailing the form.  When I ran the final check if you elect QBI you CANNOT Efile.  I can so again confused why199A Rental Real Estate Safe Harbor Statement 2020 would print out.