Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

audioaxes

Properly splitting income when filing married filing separate in community property state.

I would like to confirm if I'm doing this correct.

We add the our W2s only to the person whom it belongs to.  THEN we do the manual community property split on this income where one of us adjusts down and the other adjusts up to the even split amount on each return.

For rental property income we both enter full income+expenses but just specify we have 50% ownership on each return.

For bank account interest and last year's taxable state tax return we are simply manually splitting these incomes when entering it on each return.

For a HSA account thats only in my name I am NOT splitting this and reporting all of the contributions+distributions on my return only. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
ravi2687

Properly splitting income when filing married filing separate in community property state.

Where did you mark the adjustment? Did you just change your AGI by putting an adjustment in line 21 or did you change each line of income?
JaimeG

Yes, you are proceeding correctly. If you get stuck anywhere and want to quickly read through some info to verify, please visit the two FAQs below: 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/6220138

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3301943

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies