Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lizC
Level 3

Problem with the verification of 2018 AGI for efiling

I am completing taxes for my parents.  .My father passed away in 2019.  On their 2018 taxes my father was listed first and my mother as spouse.  For 2019 taxes my mother is being listed first and my father as spouse.   The efile was first rejected by IRS as a mistake with 2018 AGI and turbo tax in helping fix mistake asked for my mothers 2018 AGI, which I entered and efiled again.  It was rejected again and this time said it needed my fathers AGI, which I entered again and efiled and was rejected again saying there is a mistake with my fathers AGI.  My mother and I have checked and triple checked her 2018 taxes and the numbers are all correct.   I have ordered a 2018 tax transcript for her to be mailed within 5-10 days.  But I would like to rectify this problem sooner and be able to efile for her.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

If you have tried all the methods and still got rejected by the IRS, there is nothing TurboTax can assist.  The last resort would be printing all your required tax forms and paper-file.  

To locate your Adjusted Gross Income AGI from last year, please follow these instructions:

If you have filed your last year 2018 tax return and have a copy of the tax forms, you may locate the amounts on line 7 on your 2018 Form 1040 or line 35 on 2018 Form 1040-NR if applies to you.

If you used TurboTax online to file, you can access your account here Login and download a copy of your prior year’s 1040 tax return to find your AGI.  Click here for instructions: Prior year's return

If you do not have a copy of the tax forms, you may order a transcript from the IRS.  Click here Get  Transcript and select  "Get Transcript Online "  On the transcript, look under section "Adjustment to Income" and find the amount for Adjusted Gross Income.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Anonymous
Not applicable

it shouldn't matter for 2019.  if they filed a joint return in 2018, the AGI is the same for both  2018 -1040 - line 7.

so which order they are listed in the 2019 1040 shouldn't matter 

for some reason, most like an IRS programming glitch , they won't accept  the agi reported even when its correct. 

lizC
Level 3

Hackitoff, I think you are correct I also think it is a mistake in the IRS database.  my mother and I went over her 2018 numbers and they were all correct and she received the exact same refund she was expecting so we don't think that the IRS changed their taxes.  I have ordered a transcript but it will take up to 10 days to come in the mail.  It may be possible that what the IRS entered into their database had a mistake made on it when they entered it. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies