turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

nevabreak

My form 8453 has the box checked for form 8949. Do I need to send this form or the form from my broker related to this form?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DDollar
Expert Alumni

My form 8453 has the box checked for form 8949. Do I need to send this form or the form from my broker related to this form?

Probably both.  It sounds like you entered category totals for investment sales rather than entering each transaction.  If so, IRS regulations require you to mail in a detail (Form 8949) of your transactions and copy of your broker statement summary.  Or you can mail your entire Form 1099-B. 

If you e-fled your return, within three days after the IRS has accepted your return, mail the Form 8949 generated by TurboTax, a copy of the summary statements provided by your broker, and the Form 8453 generated by TurboTax, to the following address:

Internal Revenue Service
Attn: Shipping and Receiving, 0254
Receipt and Control Branch
Austin, TX 73344-0254

If you are mailing your return, Include the Schedule D prepared by TurboTax and a copy of your transaction summary from your broker or financial institution. Include both Schedule D and Form 8949 with your mailed return, along with any other paperwork specified in the Filing Instructions printout.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DDollar
Expert Alumni

Probably both.  It sounds like you entered category totals for investment sales rather than entering each transaction.  If so, IRS regulations require you to mail in a detail (Form 8949) of your transactions and copy of your broker statement summary.  Or you can mail your entire Form 1099-B. 

If you e-fled your return, within three days after the IRS has accepted your return, mail the Form 8949 generated by TurboTax, a copy of the summary statements provided by your broker, and the Form 8453 generated by TurboTax, to the following address:

Internal Revenue Service
Attn: Shipping and Receiving, 0254
Receipt and Control Branch
Austin, TX 73344-0254

If you are mailing your return, Include the Schedule D prepared by TurboTax and a copy of your transaction summary from your broker or financial institution. Include both Schedule D and Form 8949 with your mailed return, along with any other paperwork specified in the Filing Instructions printout.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies