turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Someone filed without my permission now I keep getting rejected . Is there anything I can do to get my money?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Someone filed without my permission now I keep getting rejected . Is there anything I can do to get my money?

You will have to,print and mail your return and let the IRS straighten it out.

Print your return and mail it in.  If this is a case of identity theft, you can fill out and include the identity theft affidavit form 14039-T, which is included on the "Other tax situations" tab.  Pay extra postage for a mailing service with tracking and proof of delivery.

If this is not really identity theft, but something else (such as, your mom filed an incorrect return without telling you and you need to correct it) and you can get the information from the first return, you would be better off using that account to file an amended return with the correct information instead of filing a new original return that looks like a duplicate.

If the IRS needs more information about which return is correct or why 2 returns were filed, they will send you a letter, so make sure the address on your tax return is current.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies