turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lawson044

My son lives with me and his step dad and he has no income and we are on SSI..He just got a refund from college.So does he have to fill out taxes.We take care of him

My son lives with me and his step dad and he has no income and we are on SSI..He just got a refund from college.So does he have to fill out taxes.We take care of him..He has Fafsa  so does he still have to file what happens if he doesnt want to file..

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

My son lives with me and his step dad and he has no income and we are on SSI..He just got a refund from college.So does he have to fill out taxes.We take care of him

Possibly.  The refund from college can be taxable income if it was from scholarships and grants so he should fill out the return, enter his 1098-T (to show the amount of the refund) and see if he has a tax liability or taxable income.  If he does, then he will need to file. 

It the refund was because of student loans and not scholarships or grants, then no he does not need to file a return. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
lawson044

Well he gets Fafsa so does he still have to file ..And whats happens if he doesnt want to file
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies