turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

gregsir

Form 2210 underpayment penalty waiver documents: How do i efile form 2210 waiver?

how do I e-file form 2210 penalty waiver documents?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KarenJ
Intuit Alumni

Form 2210 underpayment penalty waiver documents: How do i efile form 2210 waiver?

Please see the response from my TurboTax colleague ChristieB:

You can request a waiver of underpayment of estimated tax by taking the following steps in TurboTax: 

1.) Federal

2.) Other Tax Situations

3.) Additional Tax Situations - Underpayment Penalties

This section will help you determine if you qualify for a waiver, and also update your Form 2210 with this information. 

Generally, exemptions from penalty will apply if:

• In 2017 or 2018, you retired after reaching age 62 or became disabled, and your underpayment was due to reasonable cause (and not willful neglect), or
  • The underpayment was due to a casualty, disaster, or other unusual circumstance, and it would be inequitable to impose the penalty. For federally declared disaster areas, see Federally declared disaster, or
  • The underpayment was due to an inability to accurately calculate your estimated income tax payment due to the breadth of changes enacted by tax reform.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
gregsir

You did not answer the question on how to provide documentation (I retired in 2017 and over age 62) to the IRS when I e-file my return.  Please answer that question.  Thank you.
KarenJ
Intuit Alumni

There is no documentation that you provide the IRS.  You simply check the box for reason for filing with waiver.  If the IRS wants any documentation they will send you a letter requesting this.
KarenJ
Intuit Alumni

Please see the response from my TurboTax colleague ChristieB:

You can request a waiver of underpayment of estimated tax by taking the following steps in TurboTax: 

1.) Federal

2.) Other Tax Situations

3.) Additional Tax Situations - Underpayment Penalties

This section will help you determine if you qualify for a waiver, and also update your Form 2210 with this information. 

Generally, exemptions from penalty will apply if:

• In 2017 or 2018, you retired after reaching age 62 or became disabled, and your underpayment was due to reasonable cause (and not willful neglect), or
  • The underpayment was due to a casualty, disaster, or other unusual circumstance, and it would be inequitable to impose the penalty. For federally declared disaster areas, see Federally declared disaster, or
  • The underpayment was due to an inability to accurately calculate your estimated income tax payment due to the breadth of changes enacted by tax reform.

It is my understanding that NYS requires this income tax return to be filed electronically. The question is as follows:I am requesting a waiver re underpayment of taxes due to an unusual situation I was going to file a blank IT -2105.9 with name and identification completed plus a typed statement describing the reason for the waiver request. As a result, I was going to mail the IT-201  I f I mail the return, I will be hit with a penalty from NYS because I did not send electronically. Help What do I do?

my question is not answered.

where is the response

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies