denise-kennedy

Planning on filing separate from my spouse, cant get the EIC if I do, i make under 20000, he makes over 60000. Is it more conducive to file with him

Would his pay keep me from getting the EIC anyways, so does it matter?
KrisD

Filing "Married Filing Separately" would keep you from getting that credit (as well as others).

You may not get the Earned Income Credit if you file Married Filing Separately.

If you could qualify as Head Of Household you could apply for the credit.

To qualify, you would need to have lived apart at least the last 6 months of 2016 and have a qualifying child for the Head of Household filing status.

denise-kennedy

But if I file with my husband based on his pay would I not get it anyway? we are not separated nor do we have children.
denise-kennedy

And I would not be in the head of the household status.
KrisD

You would not. There is no credit after income of 53,505.