turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mooneysx5

Does the IRS require you to submit your separation decree prior to approving your return?

My soon to be ex and I have been separated since April 2016, and have been living separately since then. However, we did not officially file and go to court until 12/20/2016. I am looking to file as head of household in order to claim my kids, but I am wondering if we will need to send in the separation decree or whether they will approve it without?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Does the IRS require you to submit your separation decree prior to approving your return?

You don't have to submit your separation papers.  Your filing status goes by what is was on the last day of the year, if you were legally separated by the laws of your state at the end of the year you can file as Single or Head of Household. 

Do I qualify for Head of Household?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288637

View solution in original post

People can claim they are legally separated but the IRS can verify that information when they go over your tax return.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

You don't have to submit your separation papers.  Your filing status goes by what is was on the last day of the year, if you were legally separated by the laws of your state at the end of the year you can file as Single or Head of Household. 

Do I qualify for Head of Household?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288637

mooneysx5

Thank you for your quick response, though I feel as though that may seem fishy, does it not? In that case, couldn't anyone "claim" they are legally separated? I am just nervous about having my return held up if it appears fraudulent. 

People can claim they are legally separated but the IRS can verify that information when they go over your tax return.
mooneysx5

Okay, great. That's what I wanted to make sure of. Thanks again!

your welcome
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies